40 110 clutch question

Discussions related to engines, transmissions, rear axles, suspension & steering.
itdmachinist

40 110 clutch question

Post by itdmachinist » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:59 am

Two questions for the experts here.

How do you recommend to block up the engine to remove transmission in car?

I ask because I may need to replace the clutch in my car. It is jumpy at times, but not always and its usually at the very end of the pedal stroke. I can control it and minimize it with some pedal finesse, but do not know if that is the norm. I did bring the car to a hill to work the clutch and it did not chatter once. Very odd to me.

The clutch has maybe 10k miles on it but it was done before me and I am curious if the flywheel was ground etc.

Thanks for advance for you input.

Brian

40clubcoupe

Re: 40 110 clutch question

Post by 40clubcoupe » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:32 am

I wish I had an answer for you. I have the same problem...except perhaps a bit more severe. When I installed the rebuilt engine, I installed a new clutch plate, rebuilt pressure plate, new throughout bearing, refaced flywheel, new pilot bearing and new return spring. The driveline jumps and studders when I let out the clutch in Low and especially Reverse. Not very noticeable in Second or High or on a slight hill. So when there is Load on the drivetrain, things are pretty good. When there is no load, it's a buckin' bronco. A friend even watched underneath the car when I let the clutch out and saw the driveshaft jumping.
All of this did NOT happen before I rebuilt the engine....so somehow I introduced this problem of jumping by defective, mis-installed parts or mis-adjusted parts.
It's such an embarrassing problem that I try to minimize having anyone watch me try to take off or back up, and I try to pull through a parking spot rather than back up. I seem to recall that the 3 pressure plate fingers had locking screws for adjustment of depth, but I thought I set them all the same. Did I possibly set them uneven or at an incorrect depth? Did I not get the flywheel even on the end of the crankshaft? Also, there seemed to be slight improvement when I loosened the load of the clutch pedal return spring, but this is really not solving the real problem.
Has anyone seen and solved this problem before ??

The "Jumping" 40

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:54 am

Same sort of problem, though not seemingly so severe, often traced to motor mounts.

itdmachinist

Post by itdmachinist » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:51 am

Dave,

The car has new motor and trans mounts as well as new and adjusted properly rear snubber.

Do you think U joints on the previous persons post?

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:10 am

Not really enough info to say with any degree of certainty, but it doesn't sound like a U-joint problem. A bit of more remote possibility but during engine rebuild, can we assume the crankshaft endplay was brought to within limits?

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:29 am

You might reference some of the service articles relating to chatter for suggestions on the motor mounts as well as a couple of other things that could be worth looking into. The first article is the intro of the first style snubber but the other three pertain to mounts, clutch plate, springs and rear axle etc that would apply to those and later cars. If you don't have the service letters they can be downloaded at Packardinfo.
Attachments
chatter.jpg

itdmachinist

Post by itdmachinist » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:28 am

Thanks howard and dave,

How do you recommend to hold the engine up for trans removal?

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:47 am

I don't believe doing a clutch on a 40 110 would be significantly different that doing it on a 1941 120. When I did mine years ago I simply put a broad, flat plank under the rear of the oil pan and supported it with a hydraulic jack.

itdmachinist

Post by itdmachinist » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:12 am

So right under the low part of the pan or up against the block right behind the rear main?

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:26 am

Well, it was about 50 years ago and I don't remember that detail. Maybe someone with more recent experience (or a better memory) can comment.