1948 Standard 8 Overdrive Issue.

Discussions related to engines, transmissions, rear axles, suspension & steering.
Mistahnash

Re: 1948 Standard 8 Overdrive Issue.

Post by Mistahnash » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:05 pm

The issue with the relay not coming on was the reverse lock out switch. It was causing alot of resistance no matter how I adjusted it. I bypassed it and got the relay to trigger with a ground on terminal 5. The light on the dash comes on and both relays work. Light doesn't come on when driving around and I dont hear the solenoid make any noise when grounding the relay but I have not gotten under the car while someone grounds the relay yet.
Last edited by Mistahnash on Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mistahnash

Post by Mistahnash » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:09 pm

Also is it ok to drive it around with the overdrive not working. Like I mentioned before it seemed to be revving pretty high around 40mph. Haven't really tried pushing it past that.

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:04 am

If the relay comes in when grounding 5 then it is a matter of chasing the connecting wire back to the governor and try grounding at each step to find where the switch or wire might be open that is preventing the relay from energizing when the car is at speed. You would have everything set up just as if driving down the road and then go to each switch terminal in order and ground each point until one of them does not bring in the relay. The problem would be between where it worked and where it did not. The yellow wiring diagram on page two is kind of a birds eye position layout of the switches and components. If you found one bad switch there could be another or a broken wire. It could also be the governor is not well grounded or its contacts are at fault. I really can't think of any other way to find the issue other than going down the line and testing each switch and the wiring between.

From others findings, past problems have been the lockout switch at the rear of the knob bracket under the dash. It is a prime suspect but since you found a safety switch with a high resistance, the kickdown switch is of the same construction and could be equally dirty. Both can be carefully taken apart and cleaned but if the lockout switch has a worn plunger then replace or make it sit lower is the only option on that one. The governor can also be taken apart. Possibly old grease has congealed so the flyweights are not being thrown out enough to make the contacts change state or oil and grease could have dirtied the contacts themselves. Corrosion between the screw and metal strip on the back of the governor bottom could be preventing the contacts having a ground.

As to driving around, yes you can although personally until everything electrical and mechanical in the OD is ironed out I would pull the fuse and pull out the knob to keep the overdrive locked out. In that state it would be as if the car had no OD and just a straight stick. The car would be under better control with no freewheeling and if something electrical is amiss then less likely any damage could occur. The R9s are a bit more temperamental and sensitive to electrical issues than later units. If something like a shorted wire brought in OD when not wanted such as when reverse is selected there could be mechanical damage to the OD

Here is a photo of what can happen to the governor when oil gets inside. Bottom and the contacts are on the left, flyweight on the right. If you do take the governor apart use extreme care on the contacts. Try cleaning with contact cleaner and air in a can rather than something mechanical. Anything hard that moves or bends them could damage or change the adjustment so the speed calibration is seriously affected.
Attachments
IMG_0759.jpg

Kirtie

Post by Kirtie » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:45 am

Sorry for the delayed reply:

I’ve had my R9 apart and overhauled it on the bench a few years ago, and had to service it just a few weeks ago.

If you have the Wade connector on the wiring bundle that goes from the firewall to the transmission, it’s easiest to just replace the entire bundle. Personally, I used 4-wire boat trailer cable from the local hardware store, 14-gauge. It costs about $12 for the length of cable you need and was instrumental in making mine work. The new cable is weather-resistant, and a few minutes of planning can see shrink-tube places in the connections for a long-lasting, permanent repair. The Wade connector on mine had two of the circuits failing through the plug, and it was a bear to troubleshoot.

Pull it out and replace it, is my advice.

Next, it sounds like the governor is working, since the green indicator light on the dash is lighting up. Great! Now you need to make sure the solenoid is working. There are three connection points on it for wiring, and if you choose to replace that cable or not make sure they are clean and the connection is good. If they are and there’s good power it could be that the solenoid is bad- though I doubt it, they’re quite robust. A replacement is $300 if you can find one.

The unused wire on the governor was for the (not optioned) Electromatic Clutch. Cap it off so it doesn’t corrode or short and you’ll be fine.

If you do need to replace the solenoid, it’s a trick but not impossible. I made a brief YouTube video about it, it’s noted in a different post.

My question is this: will the car reverse correctly if the overdrive knob is pressed in all the way, or do you need to pull the lockout handle to get it into gear? I had this problem, and solved it recently.
********** KIRT LIEDAHL **********

1949 Packard 2272 Super Eight Touring Sedan ("Pearl")
http://facebook.com/pearlthepackard/

Mistahnash

Post by Mistahnash » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:25 pm

Sorry for the delayed response, I have been busy and am just now getting back to the Packard. The car reverses just fine no matter where the nob is. I spent a few hours cleaning the trans of grim and dirt just to be able to see what im working with down there. I just fixed a grounding issue I was having so im going to check power to all the overdrive connections now that I have proper ground and see if that did anything. Wont really know until spring when I can drive it around but ill clean and replace what I can for now.

Started working on the wipers also, they seem to be stuck, also the vacuum hose is missing and Im not sure where its suppose to go too so any input on that would be great.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:22 pm

Vacuum routing for the wiper motor is very simple and direct; from the intake manifold to the vacuum booster section of the fuel pump and from there to the wiper motor.

Mistahnash

Post by Mistahnash » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:01 pm

I found the vacuum hose that is suppose to lead to the wiper motor, was just missing the small section of rubber vacuum hose that leads from the hard line to the wiper motor.

I also think I found why the wipers seemed to be stuck, the cable leading from the nob on top of the dash is totally seized up. I was in the process of removing the assembly from the dash but Im afraid I wont be able to get it back in there seeing as I was having a hell of a time just getting my hand deep enough under the dash to even feel it. Any easier way to get at it other then removing stuff from the dash?

Mistahnash

Post by Mistahnash » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:30 pm

Its been a while but I have been trying to slowly figure out the OD with no success. Moved on to tune up and fluid changed and all that kind of stuff. Now im back to the OD and at the moment Im trying to figure out which terminals on the solenoid should have constant power with the key on and number 5 on the relay grounded. I Have power to one terminal which I think is number 7 on the solenoid. Another terminal has power with the wire disconnected but when I reconnect it to the terminal it loses power. No power to the other 2. is this an issue with the wade connector? It has 6 volts to all the wires coming from the firewall. Idk if some of the terminals are only suppose to have power as the solenoid or governor do there thing.

Also if anyone is aware of a good place in Michigan familiar with Packards I may have to end up taking it somewhere, or if someone wants to help out, maybe make a little money and some free beer :P

Kirtie

Post by Kirtie » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:02 pm

Do you have a copy of the wiring diagram? I see Howard had a picture of it in an earlier reply- it’s ESSENTIAL for exactly this sort of problem. I’d use a test light or a meter and see if you get continuity through each of the wires leading to the solenoid. Simple and if one or more of them isn’t up to snuff, it’s just not going to work.
********** KIRT LIEDAHL **********

1949 Packard 2272 Super Eight Touring Sedan ("Pearl")
http://facebook.com/pearlthepackard/