carbeurator problem

Discussions related to engines, transmissions, rear axles, suspension & steering.
bakerallen

carbeurator problem

Post by bakerallen » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:53 pm

I have had the engine of my 47 Clipper rebuilt. It seems fine, except there seems to be a problem with the carb. The car will idle fine for as long as I want, but when driving it and giving it enough gas to get up to speed ( 45 50 Miles per hour} it develops a horrible miss. The person who rebuilt the engine says the carb is flooding the engine. He has had the carb apart several times and can find no problem. This is the smaller 8 cylinder motor. Has anyone else had a problem like this, of any suggestions to offer? Thanks.

bakerallen

Re: carbeurator problem

Post by bakerallen » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:36 am

more info on my carb problem: There is a small metal ball in the carb that restricts the flow of gas under certain conditions. That ball is missing in my carb. I believe that has been my problem from the start. I can find a new old stock carb for $300, but cannot find the ball. I hate to spend $300.00 when all I need is one small metal ball. Does anyone know the size of the ball, and where I might get one. Thanks for your help

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:55 am

No idea on the size of the ball but some rebuild kits come with various balls and maybe the kit for that carb would have it. If not and you do find the size McMaster-Carr sells steel balls in a multitude of sizes. Depending on size they are sold in sacks of a few to way way too many -- but the prices are low. Even if you wind up with 99 extra, for the most part you will spend less than $10 plus freight.

If no one has the size and the hole the ball fits into is accessible with clear space above so you could stick the end of a drill bit where the ball would go, perhaps you could estimate the size that would be needed. Try various size bits to get something small enough to have some play and not get stuck yet large enough to not slip into the passage. Order the ball size closest to that measurement. I doubt that it needs to be an exact precision fit to do the job.

bakerallen

Post by bakerallen » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:59 am

More on the same subject. Somewhere on the internet I found a copy of a Packard Service man training booklet for carbs. I thought I could easily find it again, but now I can't. Does anyone have a web address for that? Thanks

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:26 am

The training manual you may be thinking of is at packardinfo http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/d ... ngBook.pdf The direct link may not work and if not, it is item 64 in the service shop and training manual category. Printed in 47 it covers the 20 and 21st series carbs. It will probably have the information you need but in addition, in item 54 of the same service and training manual category there are other carb sheets that are specific to a particular carb. Those may contain additional illustrations or revised rebuild instructions.