1950 Club Sedan 23rd series, bottom steering box seal

Discussions related to engines, transmissions, rear axles, suspension & steering.
Guillermo Durgin

1950 Club Sedan 23rd series, bottom steering box seal

Post by Guillermo Durgin » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:41 pm

Dear Packard owners,

I have another question that I am looking for some guidance and best practices. I just installed a front end kit from Kanter, which allowed a good alignment before installing new radial tires, with the car now driving really smooth. After all my engine work to get the car tuned, I am now enjoying cruising in my '50 Club Sedan.

So here's my new issue: the lower steering box seal, where it connects to the pitman arm has a slow leakage. In seeking options to remedy this, do I have to take the entire steering box off the car to change the seal or can I remove the old seal and slide it off where the pitman arm connects (and install a new seal in this manner) and then reconnect the pitman arm? All input and suggestions welcome. Thanks.

G Durgin
Oakland, CA

Tinman_70

Re: 1950 Club Sedan 23rd series, bottom steering box seal

Post by Tinman_70 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:35 am

I had the steering box out Series 23 and removed the pitman arm and pried the seal out and installed the new one. If you have room you should be able to get the old one out and install a new one with the box in the car. I believe the seal is an SKF 12336.
Dare to be Different - Buy and Build Packards!
Member:
Packard Automobile Classics
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com
Series 22/23 Packard Group on Facebook