1956 Torsion level issue

Discussions related to engines, transmissions, rear axles, suspension & steering.
Phantasmcuda

1956 Torsion level issue

Post by Phantasmcuda » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:13 am

I noticed when driving my 56 "400" at anytime on any road surface I'm constantly hearing the clicking sound of the compensator motor trying to activate. I read that there should be a delay so that the motor does not switch on and or off just due to minor road bumps. I've checked the suspension while the car was parked and found that if I push down on the rear of the car there is a delay and the motor will raise the car properly. However if I lean on the front ever so slightly the motor will just click away. Which means any time the front bounces even the smallest amount the motor is reacting and switching on and off. Knowing this to be bad, I have switched off the suspension for now.. Any thoughts or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks....

mrpushbutton

Re: 1956 Torsion level issue

Post by mrpushbutton » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:05 pm

Yes, it sounds like the thermal delay inside the timing box is adjusted incorrectly, with too small an air gap. Easily adjusted, you have to remove the box from the underside of the car, drill out the rivets and make the adjustment. You can hook it up to a battery or power supply and time the delay, and watch it work, which is fun.