Oil Bath Filter mount

Discussions related to engines, transmissions, rear axles, suspension & steering.
H.E. PennyPackard

Oil Bath Filter mount

Post by H.E. PennyPackard » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:23 am

Hello,

I recently purchased the assembly and mount for the oil bath air filter and muffler (over the engine). Though it’s not original to my 49 deluxe, the price for the filter assembly was too good to pass up and it’s better than nothing or bolting up a chrome generic in my opinion. Does anyone happen to know the size of the bolt needed to attach the mount to the engine?

In other exciting news, Penny started on first try last night after the professional carb rebuild and even idles well considering the last run was 1979! Now on to brakes/wheels and everything else!

Howard56

Re: Oil Bath Filter mount

Post by Howard56 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:37 am

If you are meaning the bolt that holds the brace to the side of the head I will guess 3/8-16 x 1" long and you will also need a lockwasher. That does depend on the head though as some heads used 5/16 bolts and others used shorter bolts. Since heads are interchangeable someone could have swapped to a different head over the years.
Attachments
bolt.jpg

H.E. PennyPackard

Post by H.E. PennyPackard » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:23 am

Great, thanks Howard! That and some 50wt oil and hopefully it will be an easy install.

H.E. PennyPackard

Post by H.E. PennyPackard » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:35 am

Of course it wasn't an easy install! The mounting bracket doesn't seem to remotely fit despite being sent as the correct one for the bath filter type. The angles of it seem all wrong and when held up against the side of the engine by the mounting bolt it would never hold the actual bath straight (it would be bent away (if it could even be installed that way) so the top of the bath portion would be leaning over toward the battery/wheel well area. It also doesn't seem nearly long enough to reach the hold on the bottom of the bath portion. The strange thing to me is that the angles of this mount would never hold any filter assembly at a right angle/flat from any engine block, when it's always more acute than 90 degrees and would mount anything at that angle, making me think it was bent wrong when made.

Prudence

Post by Prudence » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:10 am

H,E....50 weight might well be a bit stiff for a 49 Packard. Howard and others far more knowledgeable will no doubt comment...I'm glad the old girl is running...enjoy getting her ready for the road...the 49's are really nice road cars...Ernie in Arizona ;)

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:57 am

Ernie, SAE 50 motor oil is the correct specified oil for the oil bath air filter. Perhaps you were thinking the poster was going to use it in the crankcase?

H.E. PennyPackard

Post by H.E. PennyPackard » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:06 am

Thanks for the concern, as Dave said I was planning to use it in the bath filter (could only actually get 40wt so that will have to do). That’s all if I can actually get the filter mounted! I went with the recommended wt shell rotella for the crankcase based on another thread.

Prudence

Post by Prudence » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:13 pm

I sit corrected by you gentlemen. I was thinking of the crank case...Very good of Dave to make the correction. Thanks, Ernie in Arizona ;)

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:53 am

H.E. PennyPackard wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:35 am
Of course it wasn't an easy install! The mounting bracket doesn't seem to remotely fit despite being sent as the correct one for the bath filter type. The angles of it seem all wrong and when held up against the side of the engine by the mounting bolt it would never hold the actual bath straight (it would be bent away (if it could even be installed that way) so the top of the bath portion would be leaning over toward the battery/wheel well area. It also doesn't seem nearly long enough to reach the hold on the bottom of the bath portion. The strange thing to me is that the angles of this mount would never hold any filter assembly at a right angle/flat from any engine block, when it's always more acute than 90 degrees and would mount anything at that angle, making me think it was bent wrong when made.
can you alter the bracket to suit? or make a new bracket from some flat bar, bending and drilling as necessary? Shouldn`t be too challenging.
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

H.E. PennyPackard

Post by H.E. PennyPackard » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:54 am

That’s my plan, I think the bracket is too short even if I attempt to bend it correctly, frustrating more than anything, so I’ll try returning that and maybe making something myself.