Replacing clutch in 1948 Deluxe with engine in car

Discussions related to engines, transmissions, rear axles, suspension & steering.
Sjscat

Replacing clutch in 1948 Deluxe with engine in car

Post by Sjscat » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:37 am

Hi,

I have replaced clutches in newer cars before. However, given the bell housing not coming off with the tranny, the mounts attached to the tranny and the support under the tranny this is going to be a different animal.

I have a floor jack, tranny jack and multiple jack stands. How do I best do it? Also, I suspect the flywheel is not great so how much can come off the flywheel, as in minimum thickness left, to not have trouble?

I have a pilot bearing and the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing assembly and spring are on their way. I also have a pilot bearing puller (useful little one trick pony).

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks,
Sid

Dave Czirr

Re: Replacing clutch in 1948 Deluxe with engine in car

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:18 am

I believe the procedure in he shop manual is the easiest, straight forward and direct.

Support the engine at the rear from beneath the oil pan, lift slightly to take the weight off the transmission mounts. Drop the driveshaft and remove the transmission. Remove the clutch cover and then just drop the clutch from below as you remove the pressure plate bolts. I did this maybe 40 years ago and don't recall if you have to remove the fork or not, check :cry: the shop manual or just take a good look, this is a very straight forward and simple job.

For questions about how aggressively you can resurface the flywheel, I'd talk to Ft. Wayne Clutch - they probably have more experience than anyone.

Sjscat

Post by Sjscat » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:22 pm

Thank you Dave.

I will need to position the clutch in relation to the pilot bearing and the transmission shaft. I guess I can bring a clutch and pilot bearing to NAPA and see what fits.

Sid

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:51 am

You need a clutch alignment tool. Not expensive and widely available.
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Sjscat

Post by Sjscat » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:15 am

I have used them on other cars. I did not figure the Packard had any odd size or splines. I have had a model A and 60's cars and newer. I have had car of this vintage. Lots to learn!

Thanks!

Sjscat

Post by Sjscat » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:17 am

There is not much room behind the oil pan to get a jack on it. Would a piece of wood under the oil pan be sufficient to hold the engine up and done tent the pan?

Suggestions?

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:08 am

Never put a jack pad directly on the pan, always use a large piece of wood against the pan to spread out the load.

Sjscat

Post by Sjscat » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:14 pm

Thanks. I will do so.