Overdrive or not?

Discussions related to engines, transmissions, rear axles, suspension & steering.
Olivierdejong

Overdrive or not?

Post by Olivierdejong » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:11 pm

Hi gentlemen.

One more question about overdrive.
Got a super 8 Victoria 1937, but with short running gear.
At 30mph it runs already high enough to look for a fourth gear.

What would be easier according to your experience : change the running gear for a longer one, 3,77 or so, or put an aftermarket overdrive?

I’d love to caver long distances with this car... now Imust avoid any motorway even for a short distance as it’s so slow that it is a danger, which is not practicle. 50 mph is not that high and is few on motorways here.

Aftermarket OD, super Clipper transmission with OD, other running gear? And where to find it on secondhand...
any suggestion welcome.Best regards. Olivier
Olivier Dejong
+32 477 308 669
Packardclubbelgium@yahoo.com

Dave Czirr

Re: Overdrive or not?

Post by Dave Czirr » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:02 am

Hi Oliver,

This is a topic that has been discussed regularly for almost as long as the hobby as existed, if you go to the AACA forum and search and you should find enough reading for a month. In my opinion the "easier" (less work, less cost) option is to install a high speed ring and pinion, if you can find them. For years they were manufactured by Phil Bray who has passed on, and I don't believe there is a current source. I believe his gears were 3.98. But although it's not the easy way, the better way is a frame-mounted overdrive, more complicated and also more expensive, about $6000 installed. The reason the OD is better is because of flexibility; with just high speed gears you're moving a 4500+ pound car with about 130 hp and the hills that you previously climbed effortless in high gear may now require you to downshift. With the OD you just drop back into conventional 3rd gear for such climbs.

My 1934 Eight is geared about the same as I guess yours is, I have 4.69 gears with the 320 cubic inch Eight. I try to limit my cruising speed to 50 mph or just a little less. I've done a lot of touring with it and just avoid the high speed highways.

Olivierdejong

Post by Olivierdejong » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:01 pm

Tx for thé answer.
I’ll have a look for an OD then, even second hand if this helps to cut costs.
But you say « frame mounted »... what do you mean? With one transmission tube instead of two small ones?
Best regards.
Olivier Dejong
+32 477 308 669

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:30 pm

Nothing you can mount to the rear of the transmission, no room. These units are mounted to the frame somewhat behind the frame crossmember. Then two new driveshafts needed, one from the trans to the OD and a second from the OD to the differential.

Two manufacturers of such units are Gear Vendors and Mitchell.

See this thread and particularly post #4:

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modul ... =0&start=0

Olivierdejong

Post by Olivierdejong » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:33 am

Instructive indeed.
Tx you.
Olivier Dejong
+32 477 308 669