Oil Filter Lines

Discussions related to engines, transmissions, rear axles, suspension & steering.
Dwight Bedsole

Re: Oil Filter Lines

Post by Dwight Bedsole » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:31 am

Howard, I posted a reply yesterday but for some reason it did not "post" so I will try again.

I agree with you that the engine is most likely a 1946 282, were there models that had hydraulic lifters or were all solid lifters? When I purchased the car the previous owner said that it would need a valve job - I do not know if it has sticking valves or noisy lifters, or what.

Interesting that I do not have a oil pressure sending unit, the old lines went directly from the ports on the lower left side of the engine block to the filter - lower port plumbed to the side of the FRAM-35 bypass filter. Oil pressure piping (coiled copper tubing) comes from the lower rear right side of the engine block (oil gallery) directly to the oil pressure gauge in the dash.

The old broken/deteriorated oil lines were of hose and not tubing. The hose from the bottom outlet had a restricting orifice in the hose end connection and not in some separate fitting which tells me it was most likely a Packard part. The orifice dia. looks to be 1/16" in a 11/64" inside dia. hose.
I plan to plumb with 1/8" grease gun/fitting hose and use solder to form a 1/16" orifice in the outlet line from the oil pump to the side of the filter.

Thanks for the suggestion to prime the oil pump, I have a transfer pump but never thought about using it to prime the pump, all I was going to do was to crank the engine a number of times before turning on the ignition.

Thanks again
Dwight

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:54 am

The 282 motor was never available with hydraulic lifters.

Neil Hourihan

Post by Neil Hourihan » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:58 am

I would like to jump into this oil line conversation. I have a 41 Super 8 356 with hydraulic lifters. When the engine was rebuilt I modified the system by replacing the canister filter with a modern spin-on filter mainly to contain spillage on the generator and ensure enough clean oil went directly to the lifters. I added a gauge to monitor outflow pressure as well. It has never idled really smoothly and after replacing the manifold gaskets i discovered I can only make 14" vacuum steady which indicates the valve clearance is too tight. I can't find any vacuum leaks.distributor is right on the money, carb is rebuilt, manifold bolts are tight, manifold flooding drain tube works as it should. It has NOS Packard lifters and 40 psi on the gauge .
So my question concerns the possibility there is too much pressure/volume flowing to the lifters.

Thanks for any input.

Dwight Bedsole

Post by Dwight Bedsole » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:03 pm

Neil, with regard to vacuum did you check possible leakage from your vacuum spark advance and from the intake manifold take off for vacuum wipers?

Neil Hourihan

Post by Neil Hourihan » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:11 am

Dwight, Yes, I attached a vacuum gauge where the manifold to vac pump line was and plugged the vacuum advance line. I had another vacuum gauge attached to a threaded hole on rear of intake manifold. Both gauges read the same 14".

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:59 am

Apologizes for jumping in. A vacuum reading at idle of 14" is low, indicative of either an engine significantly out of tune (ignition timing, fuel mixture, etc) or a vacuum leak, or perhaps some of both. An engine of this era in good internal condition and state of tune should give 18-20" of vacuum at idle.

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:22 am

I do hope someone can come up with a reason or at least some good suggestions for the low vacuum. I would be interested to know if pumped up lifters and an improper valve clearance can be tested or ruled out in some fashion because I know of two other 356 engines with a similar issue. In addition to low vacuum both have a too fast idle of around 700 rpm which doesn't seem to be able to lower farther to the recommended range. The engines also have a tendency when at the too fast idle to run hotter than normal.

Those symptoms taken together would typically indicate timing or a vacuum leak but in both engines the usual reasons for a vacuum leak as mentioned above would appear to be ruled out along with incorrect timing. The first case is on a completely rebuilt engine that had been stored for years before being reinstalled and started up. The other is an engine that was running OK but then went to a shop for a routine valve job. Both engines had the valve stems ground using the plug gauge to have clearance set midway in the specified values. On the second engine, after the low vacuum problem was encountered the manifolds were also removed and resurfaced as a unit to eliminate warp as a cause. The same symptoms persisted after manifold reinstallation.

Dwight Bedsole

Post by Dwight Bedsole » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:51 am

Neil isn't 50 psi the normal oil pressure for a 356?

You mention steady 14 psi which usually rules out a sticky valve, burnt valve, leaky valve, or a loose or weak valve guide. A steady reading usually means late ignition timing, or late valve timing - if you have some slight movement between 14-17 it could be from points not synchronized or the plug gap too close, I think a gap setting of 25-30 is recommended.

Neil Hourihan

Post by Neil Hourihan » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:00 pm

Dwight, It runs 40 psi when warm, 45 cold. It runs 14 inches vacuum with timing right on 5 degrees btdc at 700 rpm. If i advance the timing a lot it gets up to 17" but runs terrible and won't start. Way too much advance.The dwell angle reads 30' on meter. I know it should be 27' but close for now.

No apology needed Dave. I welcome any thoughts on this. It has me baffled. I also made sure manifold mating surfaces with the block were all in the same plane when I replaced manifold gaskets. all connections are tight. I always suspect the gas drain tube but if I seal it up there is no change.

Howard, I can't get mine to idle less than 700 rpm. It seems to want to idle at 800. It does not run hot. It has about 1500 miles on it since a complete rebuild with new valves, guides, seats, springs, lifters, timing chain, etc. It runs too well for the cam to be out of sync with the crank.

???

Neil Hourihan

Post by Neil Hourihan » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:23 pm

Howard,
Do you know if the other 356 engines with the same symptoms as mine have oil filters preceding the lifter supply? Or have they been modified to bypass the filter on way to lifters per service article? My thought is that too much pressure on lifters makes clearance too tight. Cadillac claimed their similar Eaton lifters needed only 5 psi to operate.

What confounds me more is that I have installed a similar spin on oil filter on a 1940 Lasalle engine without any effect on vacuum.