Heat Riser Valve

Discussions related to engines, transmissions, rear axles, suspension & steering.
Dwight Bedsole

Heat Riser Valve

Post by Dwight Bedsole » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:00 pm

I have a '37 120C with a '46 282 engine. My heater valve is frozen, the counter weight has been broken off. I cannot tell if it is frozen open or frozen closed. If I remember correctly if the spring is wound tight then the valve is closed. Shown below is a picture of the spring side of the heat riser valve, could someone please tell me if the valve is open or closed. If it is closed would I try to open by turning the shaft clockwise or counter clockwise?
I am new at posting a reduced size picture and for some reason I ended up with three.

Thanks
Dwight

Dwight Bedsole

Re: Heat Riser Valve

Post by Dwight Bedsole » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:05 pm

shown below is the photo.
100_1106heat.jpg

Dwight Bedsole

Post by Dwight Bedsole » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:34 am

I am still trying to free up my corroded/frozen heat riser valve (15 years been sitting-up). I have applied PB Blaster, WD-40, and now daily treatments with 50/50 mix of auto-trans fluid and acetone. Next week, after cleaning area, I will apply heat with my torch. I do not know if it is frozen open or closed, if open I will leave alone. It would be very helpful if someone could post a picture of their heat riser valve from the counter weight side and indicate whether it is open or closed and if closed which way would open the valve - clockwise or counter clockwise. In trying to free up the butterfly valve I do not know which way to turn the shaft.

Don Shields

Post by Don Shields » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:31 pm

It looks to me that the valve is closed based on the closed position of the riser valve in my 1933 1002. The shaft rotates to the right (clockwise) when viewed from the spring end of the shaft as the valve opens. It only rotates about 90 degrees from fully closed to fully open. I hope this is correct information for your engine.

Dwight Bedsole

Post by Dwight Bedsole » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:53 am

Don thank you for the response and info. I will remove the spring, heat both ends of the shaft with a torch and try to turn clockwise as viewed from the spring side.