Thermostat

Discussions related to engines, transmissions, rear axles, suspension & steering.
Dwight Bedsole

Thermostat

Post by Dwight Bedsole » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:48 am

I have a 1937 120C with a 1946 282 replacement engine (date 11/6/45) so I am not sure if the water pump, outlet nozzle or radiator is a 120C or 282.. When I install my re-cored radiator I want to install a thermostat and new hoses. The engine did not have a thermostat and the upper radiator hose was a NAPA type flexible hose 12 1/2" long. Is the proper upper radiator hose made up of a metal elbow and two rubber hoses about 4 inches long? Shown below is a photo of the thermostat housing/water outlet neck, do I want a thermostat retainer "ring" or "sleeve" to fix the thermostat in the housing?
Is there a particular thermostat that I need to purchase depending on how it is fixed in the housing? Any comments on filling the system with Ames Waterless Coolant -no water so no more corrosion, no pressure, and no more need to flush and clean cooling system.
Thanks
Dwight
Attachments
radiator 100_1229.jpg

Prudence

Re: Thermostat

Post by Prudence » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:20 am

Good Morning...I purchased a retainer ring and a thermostat from Max Merritt...I'm sure Kanter who sponsors this site would have them as well...Ernie in Arizona ;)

Dwight Bedsole

Post by Dwight Bedsole » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:46 am

Thanks for the response Prudence, I have been on Max Merritt's (as well as Kanter and Urlich) website but do not know which thermostat/gasket kit to order (TK102 or TK103) or which radiator hose set I need since my radiator nozzles are 1 1/2" in dia. and the nozzles on my thermostat housing and water pump are 1 3/4" in dia.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:12 am

Apparently you've got a mismatched engine to radiator, if so it's a bit of a mongrel and you'll probably have to improvise as neither factory kit will be suitable. Neither original upper radiator hose was two sections of hose with a metal section in the center.

I'd read up thoroughly on experiences with the waterless coolant, some good stories and some not so good - it's somewhat controversial.

Prudence

Post by Prudence » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:42 pm

Good Evening...I don't have much success with the web sites...as I usually have questions and just simply call Max and if they can't take the call at the moment...I leave my number...and they always call me back...I'm sure the other suppliers would do the same...Only a fraction of most of the suppliers parts and pieces are on their web sites...Ernie in Arizona ;)

Dwight Bedsole

Post by Dwight Bedsole » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:55 pm

Dave, thanks for your response. I suspected that there could be a mismatch between a 1937 radiator and a 1946 engine but others have said that there is little too no difference between a 1937 120C engine and the 1946 282 - that they are basically the same, I do not know, I am new to the world of Packards.

I also belong to the Rolls Royce owners club and the tech guys have said very positive things about Ames waterless coolants . I have put Ames waterless coolant in my 1963 RR Silver cloud III, my two corvettes (1958/1978), and two cadillacs (1960/1963), not yet in my 1934 RR -- and thus far no problems - just a slight increase in normal operating temperatures. Just interested in what experience others may have had. Personaly I am not that concerned with the slight elevation in operating temp.The problem as I see it is when you have corrosion and blockage in the cooling system such that you have temp differences - hot temps where you have blockage and lower temps where you don't - leading to differential expansiopn and cracks, etc.-- my experience has been positive but not for very long, so interested in what others may have had.
Thanks
Dwight

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:09 pm

Not a lot of differences in the engines, bigger differences in shape of the radiators and especially the positioning if the hose connections And probably a difference in the orientation of the cylinder head water outlet.

Dwight Bedsole

Post by Dwight Bedsole » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:13 pm

Dave I have looked at a number of engine compartment photos of '37 and '46 and the only difference I can see is that the nozzle comes out of the bottom of the upper tank on the '37 at a slight angle and comes straight out of the face of the upper tank on the '46. See photo before removing radiator in my '37.
Attachments
100_1186.jpg