1950 3 Speed Transmission ---Does it have OD?

Discussions related to engines, transmissions, rear axles, suspension & steering.
Tubby50

1950 3 Speed Transmission ---Does it have OD?

Post by Tubby50 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:36 pm

Hello, I'm considering buying a '50 Packard Standard Eight (project car) but there are few unknowns that I hoped someone on this site might help me with. I've confirmed the car definitely has a 3 speed manual transmission (3 pedals) but I don't know enough about these particular models to tell whether it is equipped with an Over Drive(OD). The car is sitting on its frame rails (no wheels) and sort of crammed into a very low bay (a false ceiling hangs 5" above the roof of the car) so I can't readily jack up the car for signs of a OD solenoid or governor. The only possible visual clue is on the driver's side firewall of the engine bay, just below the car's main regulator (say 3-4 inches below it), I see a small relay with a single fuse on the bottom of it. Could this relay be the control power to the solenoid or governor? I also looked for a "OD Lock-out" cable/lever inside the cabin but don't see one. If the car did have OD where would this cable/lever be positioned? I appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

Dave Czirr

Re: 1950 3 Speed Transmission ---Does it have OD?

Post by Dave Czirr » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:52 pm

The OD engage/lockout control is a push/pull control with a white ivory knob protruding under the dash just to the right of the steering column. Your description of the fused relay on the firewall does sound like the R-11 OD relay which would be appropriate for a 23rd series car.

Tubby50

Post by Tubby50 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:33 pm

Dave ---Thank you for your thoughts on the relay! Many years ago I owned a '51 Studebaker w/OD that had a similar looking relay (with a single clear fuse on the bottom). Hence I thought I'd 100% verify it by finding a lock out cable somewhere within the driver's reach. But to my dismay I looked everywhere yet could not locate anything that resembled a lock out cable. I even laid on my back and looked under the dash with a flashlight. The only mechanism I came across that I thought might qualify was a lever with an ivory knob handle that sits under the ignition key switch (left side of the column). I actuated the lever but wasn't convinced it was the lockout (What is that?). I'm left wondering whether the original owner removed the lock out cable at some point? Are you "fairly sure" the small relay below the regulator reveals the presence of an OD (it had 4 or 5 wires on it)? I believe it does but as I mentioned in my original post I'm a complete novice on these models.

Thanks again,
Robert

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:56 pm

The lever with the ivory knob under the ign key sounds like the left side hood release. The hood opens from either side so there should be an identical arrangement on the right side. The OD lockout assy will have a round knob about 1½" to 2" in diameter and as was mentioned it is on the right of the steering column.
Attachments
OD knob.jpg
L hood release.jpg
dash.jpg
22-3 firewall.jpg

Tubby50

Post by Tubby50 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:48 pm

Howard56 --Thank you. The last picture you posted above seals it for me --that's the same electrical hardware I noticed on the '50. Yippee, it has an OD; yikes, I didn't even recognize this series hood release handle! In this case exposing my ignorance ended well. The OD cable must have been removed for some forsaken reason. I will buy the car and re-join the club. My very first car was a '54 Packard ---back in 1981. I've wanted one since especially with a 3sp/OD,,,

Thanks again,
Robert