Checking Oil Level - 526/33

Discussions related to engines, transmissions, rear axles, suspension & steering.
robrguzz

Checking Oil Level - 526/33

Post by robrguzz » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:44 am

As much as I love my my 528 and continue to enjoy driving it, I am amazed at the fact that checking the oil is essentially what you had to do in a Model T. With the fantastic engineering of these cars... really? no dipstick? I have seen what appear to be accessory level gages for the single six on photos of other cars. Can anybody provide me information on what options are available to make checking the oil easier in this vintage Packard? Photos, copies of accessory sheets or any information will surely be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob

Adam

Re: Checking Oil Level - 526/33

Post by Adam » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:45 am

Hello
I have a 533 and like you, I have to get underneath and turn the petcock to see if oil runs out. I don`t mind that, it is part of the fun of running a 1920s car. In fact, I think the Model T was more sophisticated in that it had two petcocks, one for high and one for low level!! My 1928 Alfa Romeo has a brass rod in a cork, such that the cork floats on the oil and the rod pokes through the side of the crankcase and points at a scale.

No doubt Packard thought the chauffeur would take care of such vulgarities as checking the oil. :D

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

robrguzz

Re: Checking Oil Level - 526/33

Post by robrguzz » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:13 pm

Adam,
Thanks for the response. I think I have seen oil level gages for Packards of our era. The fact that you don’t have an upper or lower petcock, like a T, is the problem. You never know how low you really are.

I never did think of the chauffeur angle though.

Rob