Overheating

Discussions related to engines, transmissions, rear axles, suspension & steering.
Jim Long

Overheating

Post by Jim Long » Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:49 pm

:D after about a month of work and waiting for parts I finally got my 1940 110 started. It ran fine but after driving it for more than a short drive it started to overheat. I drained the old antifreeze and refilled with plain water but it didn't help. After a lot of research I settled on THERMOCURE. I bought the product at a local parts store and followed the instruction on the label. No more overheating. I was amazed that it was so simple to use and it worked so well

Adam

Re: Overheating

Post by Adam » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:39 am

Hello Jim

It would be good to understand what Thermocure actually is. Is it a 'ready to use' coolant? Some that are offered here in the UK are actually 100% ethylene glycol antifreeze, which offers a slightly higher boiling point, but a lower specific heat capacity than water.

It is good to hear that it has cured your over heating problem, but it might still be worth checking the flow through your radiator before the ambient temperatures rise. You may have a blocked core.

Kind regards
Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Jim Long

Post by Jim Long » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:50 pm

Sorry for being vague. I flushed the radiator and the engine block with the plug out of the block and the radiator petcock open and the engine running at idle and garden hose keeping it full. I filled a plastic water bottle for a site test and when it was clear I closed the petcock and replaced the block plug. The Thermocure comes in a quart container. I added that to the radiator filled the system with plain water and as per instruction, ran it for about 100 miles over a few days and repeated the flush again. I was surprised at how much more gunk came out of it. After the flush and drain I filled the system with 50/50 Prestone and my problem was solved. I'm not trying to sell Thermocure I'm just saying it worked for me. There is a You Tube vidio.
Jim Long

alfetta75

Post by alfetta75 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:07 am

Often overlooked when overheating occurs is the coolant distribution tube that runs through the block to the water pump.This is prone to blockage at the last two cylinders causing overheating at those two. It is a pain to remove since the radiator and water pump need to be removed. over the years cooling systems are not properly flushed causing this problem.

eidsness

Post by eidsness » Mon May 02, 2022 7:54 am

I purchased my 1950 Super 8 Delux sedan last fall, when it was still fairly hot out. Driving it then it would heat up quite fast. Just this Sunday I drove the car again. It was fairly cold out. It still heated up quite quickly. The prior owner had installed an auxiliary fan in front of the radiator. Can anyone tell me if this is a chronic problem for this year and engine, or is it just more likely my unit? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Carl Eidsness. carleidsness@gmail.com 406-765-7674

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu May 05, 2022 5:55 am

Assuming that the car is in a good state of tune (ignition timing is correct, thermostat not stuck etc), then it is quite likely that the radiator core is partially blocked. It might be worth draining, removing hoses and checking for flow. Flushing is possible, otherwise a new core might be required. But check carefully first.
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.