stalling

Discussions related to engines, transmissions, rear axles, suspension & steering.
allenb2

stalling

Post by allenb2 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:20 pm

I have a 1941 Packard 110 convertible coupe. I have owned it for 3-4 years with no previous problems, however I only drove it relatively short distances around San Diego. Last weekend I took it on a 150 mile round trip drive with an old car club in Lexington KY. The engine ran well until about the last 10 miles. Then it stopped whenever I braked or slowed down. This happened about 5 times over that distance. The engine never overheated (180-200). Fuel consumption was about 10 miles per gallon - I never previously measured it. Power during the drive seemed ok, except sluggish going up the hills in KY countryside. After a short rest at home for about 2 hours, I drove the car with no problems. I have an auxiliary fan and an electric fuel pump, which I have not previously used. I turned on both when the stalling occurred. Keeping the engine speed up with the accelerator pedal seemed to help. I didn't think to use the hand throttle - I am not sure it's even hooked up. Thoughts? Increase the idle speed? Wait and see if it happens again?

Dave Czirr

Re: stalling

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:03 pm

Unless you were driving on a blistering hot day or under very stressfull (for example, lots of lower gear hill climbing) conditions, your stated temperature translates to me to modest overheating - the boiling point of water is only a few degrees higher, 212. That plus the increased volatility of today's gasoline suggests you might have been experiencing some vapor lock.

Some other things to consider. What is the thermostat rating, consider replacing it with a 160 degree unit if not already. Fan belt the proper size and fit? Ignition timing not retarded? Radiator clean and tested recently? Radiator painted with the correct type paint? Water distribution tube been checked in recent years? Manifold heat riser valve either functioning or at least blocked fully open? Pinched or partially obstructed tailpipe or muffler? Dragging brakes?

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:42 am

I would agree with all Dave`s remarks. Picking up on what you said, I don`t know how hilly KY is, but are you sure the ignition timing is correct? Being retarded would definitely reduce your 'pulling power', cause overheating and damage fuel economy. 10mpg, sounds like heavy fuel consumption to me.
Just a thought. :D
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:49 am

And a further thought. I think it might be worth checking the gap on the contact breaker points has not closed up. That would also give the problem that you describe.
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.