Hood Ornament, is it real OEM?

Discussions related to body repair, trim refinishing, and paint, glass, etc.
Dave Czirr

Re: Hood Ornament, is it real OEM?

Post by Dave Czirr » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:34 pm

I'm assuming it's a factory-correct Cormorant for a 22nd series Custom 8. If you look at the wings they have a notch in the base; a lead wedge is driven in from beneath to spread and secure the wings. If you don't have the lead wedge a small wooden wedge, even a golf tee, will work well.

JWLawrence

Post by JWLawrence » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:30 am

Swan on the radiator or grille and Cormorant on the coat-of-arms.

(o{}o)

genehouse

Post by genehouse » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:26 pm

The wings simply slide into the slots in the back of the bird and are held in with a wedge from the enlarged hole in the bottom/(rear) of the bird. It is very possible that the wedge was lost when it was taken apart. If so, there is little I can suggest to you because I have never really measured one while it was out. I do wish you a lot of good luck and prayers that they saved the original wedge for you. If so, or if you figure it out for yourself, please post the dimensions for all members to save in their personal library for future reference. I'm sure you will be doing a lot of people a big favor.

Gene
1949 Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special
1926 Star 6
1926 Star Landau (still in AZ waiting for me to pick it up!)

If you are going to skate on thin ice, you might as well dance!

David48

Post by David48 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:10 pm

It is the original hood ornament. This car had never been touched as for restoration until I got it. 10 years later now I see light at the end of the tunnel. Needless to say I love this car. I will look at it again tomorrow. I recall a bag with some little screws and parts that were removed from various things I sent to be plated and I believe there is a small piece of metal that I wondered where it was suppose to go. I bet that is the wedge. It looks as though there should be a pin or screw that goes in it as there is a small hole but I don't see any way to get one in there. I will get the measurements and even take a picture with a ruler as well. Thanks for the help.

David48

Post by David48 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:25 pm

I have got it. I do have the lead wedge and I see how it goes together. The numbers in the base is 7612 a symbol then 394757. The left wing 7615 LH the right wing 7614 RH the lead wedge 7616 . I can't find a number on the bird body. The measurements of the lead wedge is 1 1/8 inch long, 3/16 thick, 5/16 wide and has a slight curve. The curve is almost not noticeable and does not seem to be enough to matter but as it is pressed in the curve may cause it to wedge in tight. I have taken photos with my iphone. I am not sure how to upload them here.