running boards on 41 1900 0ne-ten

Discussions related to body repair, trim refinishing, and paint, glass, etc.
stan&dar suchy

running boards on 41 1900 0ne-ten

Post by stan&dar suchy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:51 pm

Just bought a 41packard that needs running boards redone whhat s best way to do this? also where can I get bumpers re-chromed?

dmdelavan

Re: running boards on 41 1900 0ne-ten

Post by dmdelavan » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:19 pm

Check the vendors on this site. There are plenty of people doing good chrome work. Any of it is expensive and "show grade" even more so. Talk to the platers near you ----they are in the phone book---and see what they have to say. Don't be shy about pressing them for finish dates; some are notorious for not gettting around to it.

As for the running boards you'll have to depend on others; I'm told the 41's have a different finish from the earlier cars.
Someone out on this Board can help you.

Don Gutting

34PackardGuy

Post by 34PackardGuy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:56 pm

There probably isn't a small to mid-size city in the country that doesn't have at least one chrome plating shop. Some do plumbing fixtures, some do marine fixtures, and some will also do automotive parts. The quality you can expect will vary tremendously; the best shops for antique car parts advertise in places like Hemmings Motor News which is pretty much the bible of old car sources and services - look for it at a good newsstand.

Any yokel can stick a piece of metal in a plating system, that's NOT what you want. The real skill is polishing the metal, repairing pits and dents, keeping the proper profile without destroying details, building up new thickness and repolishing to reestablish fine detail, etc. Your best bet is to talk to old car folks in your local area - perhaps you should join some local clubs and get comments firsthand on platers in your area.

1941 running boards, unlike earlier years which used a rubber mat glued to a steel panel, had the rubber directly vulcanized on the steel. About the only good method is to strip the old rubber and recoat it with pickup bed liner composition. It's not an easy job and I suppose there are places that do it professionally though I've seen photos of some home-done jobs that are quite excellent.

Hope this helps. No pictures of your Packard?

Ozstatman

Post by Ozstatman » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:31 pm

G'day Stan & Dar,

I'm in Australia and so will leave the chrome plating to others and concentrate on the running boards.

Hunley Acuff provides a service for re-vulcanising rubber to 41/42 Packard running boards.

Here's a link to Hunley's Site - http://hunleyacuffrunningboards.com/ But I suggest you do it now as Hunley isn't getting any younger! And be prepared to pay the price because he's the only guy who does these boards!

My mate Noel has a '41 160 Coupe for which Hunley did the running boards and they look great! Hunley also did the boards for Noel's '39 120 Sedan.

But because of the considerable cost of Hunley doing the boards plus shipping to and from the US I opted to do the ones for my '41 120 Coupe the hard way. This was done by scraping off the old rubber then having the boards soda blasted and finally having them sprayed with Rhino pickup bed liner. After that there's a lot, a h#ll of a lot, of dirty, tiresome, time consuming grinding and sanding to get them to a reasonable finish. I've also seen pic's of running boards on a '41 Limo in the US which were rhinoed and they too look great.

First three pic's are of the 41 Limo's rhinoed boards, the fourth of Noel's 41 160 Coupe Hunley Acuff boards and the last pic is one of my rhinoed boards,notice it isn't a close up!
Attachments
Dave Mitchell's boards#1.JPG
Dave Mitchell's boards#2.JPG
Dave Mitchell's boards#3.JPG
Noels Hunley Acuff re-rubbered boards.JPG
Running board after flat black.JPG
Mal
Currently - '50 Packard Eight Touring Sedan
Previously - '41 120 Club Coupe(Sold October 2017) & '38 Eight Touring Sedan(Sold July 2009)
Bowral, Southern Highlands, NSW Australia

"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

jacko

Post by jacko » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:53 am

A few years ago I hand carried my 1940 model 110 running boards to Hunley Acuff who lives in Chattanooga, TN and he did a remarkable job on them. They look better than new. I recall the cost was $1200.00 but well worth it. He's the man you want to do this but as someone earlier said he's not getting any younger but he and his wife were very friendly and hospitable and you will be very pleased.

Bob Jacko

drjrharris

Post by drjrharris » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:52 pm

As i understand it, running boards were an option for 1941, the only year they were offered as an option and there were not a lot of them made with running boards.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:36 pm

Just a little more accurately, running boards were standard equipment, the option was to have them deleted. The "running board delete" option was fairly uncommon, the majority of 1941 have running boards. But the option was a bit popular on convertible coupes and sporty body styles, and seldom seen on the more conservative and formal body styles. I don't know of any actual numbers on this, just my result of my own observations over the past years.

wingunder

Post by wingunder » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:19 am

This is for "Ozstaman". I just picked up on this older topic response from you. I hope you will see this posting. I curious as to the process you used applying the Rhino coating. I need to do my 1939 1700-6 running boards, and yours came out looking pretty nice. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks, Steve
nc72085@att.net

Ozstatman

Post by Ozstatman » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:47 pm

Steve,

The pickup bed lining was sprayed on by a franchise which does that as part of it's business. One of the boards was better(smoother) than the other but both required many, many hours of power sanding to smooth them out to an acceptable finish. Even then the finish was nowhere near perfect but for my purposes(non show car) it looks OK. Final step in my approach was to have a flattish black paint applied because after sanding the finish is a grey colour.

Here are a couple of links, to a Project Blog of mine on PackardInfo.com, to some posts about the running board saga -

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modul ... &start=407

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modul ... &start=445

And there are more posts to be found about the rhinoed boards, if you've got the time!
Mal
Currently - '50 Packard Eight Touring Sedan
Previously - '41 120 Club Coupe(Sold October 2017) & '38 Eight Touring Sedan(Sold July 2009)
Bowral, Southern Highlands, NSW Australia

"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

westpeterson

Post by westpeterson » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:52 am

The running boards of a 1939 are way different than for 1941-42. If you use Rhino Lining, you will not get the proper/correct look.
West Peterson
Dayton, Ohio
1940 Packard touring sedan, factory a/c