Factory option rear heater installations in 1939...?

Discussions related to body repair, trim refinishing, and paint, glass, etc.
MartinFliegen

Factory option rear heater installations in 1939...?

Post by MartinFliegen » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:13 am

Were there any factory option rear heater installations for the (Super 8) touring sedan in 1939? I am looking at a car which has a floor vent unlike any I've seen on a Packard from that era. Here are three photos. I know that there were various rear heater options installed, but this looks strange for the period. Let me know what you think/know about this one, please.
Inside rear 1939 Super 8.1.jpg
Inside rear 1939 Super 8.2.jpg
Inside rear 1939 Super 8.3.jpg
L. Rucker, author
c/o Lochenlode Publishers
www.lancerucker.com

Howard56

Re: Factory option rear heater installations in 1939...?

Post by Howard56 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:18 pm

17th series rear heater.jpg
This may not be the item in question but the grill in the photo being so close to the seat kind of looks like it fits the description.

MartinFliegen

Post by MartinFliegen » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:01 am

The rear heater was designed to be connected to the radiator (although it is currently disconnected). I hope to have it flushed out and if it does not leak to reconnect it to a heated (radiator) source. However, nowhere can I find a reference to just how the rear radiator was to be "switched" on or off. Anyone have any ideas about that?
L. Rucker, author
www.lancerucker.com

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:36 am

As a poster mentioned on another thread and something I learned, the Kelch hot air heater was still offered in 39. That has a strange grill too but there should be no mistaking that type with all the air ducting.

As your heater is the water type it would have been plumbed in series with the other water heaters you have on dash or under front seat. You might be able to see some trace of where the hoses ran or some holes for the hose brackets still existing under the car. There was nothing for the operator to adjust temp with -- just a shut off valve on the head outlet to turn off water circulation in summer and back on in winter. The water return connects to a nipple on the top of water pump. That sometimes was a second valve to totally isolate the heaters.

As to operation, a multi-speed switch to turn the heater fan on and distribute the hot air was the only control. The switches could be mounted in several places depending on operator preference but typically under the dash edge. Since yours seems to be a special install of the rear heater the switch might have even been installed somewhere in the rear for the passenger to operate.

Here is a photo of a 41 or 42 showing a typical underdash installation and also one of a 21st series limo showing a special switch mounted in the center of the rear seat bottom for the rear passenger to operate. You can just see the round knob behind the jump seat.

There were different plastic pieces for the years. Jerry at Yesterday's Radio has the 41-2 style in the photo and one of the 39 pieces in repro. Don't believe the 39 piece he shows is the one you need but he might have others. Don't believe there is any hard and fast rule as to what style was used though. If a dealer installed a later heater in an earlier car and it happened to have a switch with a different label I expect whatever came in the box was used unless the dealer had to match and just happened to have ordered the one needed.

EDIT: I just noticed on the photo you posted with the question on speedo reset there is a plastic knob under the dash edge to the left of the speedo. Can't tell what it is for -- fog lights maybe ?? -- but it also looks like a typical heater knob in shape so if that is your car it is a possibility.
Attachments
kelch.jpg
underdash switches.jpg
4522.jpg

MartinFliegen

Post by MartinFliegen » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:46 pm

The knob on the left underside of the dash is d/c 'ed entirely, but you've provided two possibilities for sleuthing. It may have been for the fog lights which were re-assigned to turn signals by the previous owner during the mid-90s, or may have been for the rear heater (although I have yet to find any fan system for that --- it seems to be a straight radiator which depends upon warm air rising into the rear passenger compartment). More investigation to do, but some good leads from you so... again... thanks. I'll get back once I am smarter.
L. Rucker, author
www.lancerucker.com

westpeterson

Post by westpeterson » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:45 pm

The heater in your car matches the one in the back of my 1940 One-Eighty lwb touring sedan. The fan's on/off switch is under the dashboard.
West Peterson
Dayton, Ohio
1940 Packard touring sedan, factory a/c

MartinFliegen

Post by MartinFliegen » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:53 am

Thanks, West, for your input. So... let me make sure I understand. That heater in the rear compartment has its own fan in it? And that fan is switched below the dashboard? And if that is all correct, do I assume that the radiator hose supply and return are always operating, or is there a valve or switch to control that flow so that heat need not be ever-present in the rear compartment (even if the fan is turned off)?
L. Rucker, author
www.lancerucker.com

westpeterson

Post by westpeterson » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:14 am

Yes, the heater in the floor of the rear compartment has its own fan, and its own switch attached to the grille (a separate switch under the dash was optional, as per service letter shown above). I had to leave my car in Hershey this fall, so I cannot go out and look under the hood to tell you how all the plumbing is run.
West Peterson
Dayton, Ohio
1940 Packard touring sedan, factory a/c