Packard upholstery

Discussions related to body repair, trim refinishing, and paint, glass, etc.
Otis49er

Packard upholstery

Post by Otis49er » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:26 pm

I want to re upholstery the interior of my 1941 business coupe. I would prefer leather for wear, but would this hurt the value of the car? Should I stick with the original broadcloth wool? Thanks for your advice

dmdelavan

Re: Packard upholstery

Post by dmdelavan » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:40 pm

I'm more than reasonably sure leather was an option for this car, but a rather pricey one for an entry level vehicle. The broadcloth wears extremely well and I've seen Packards of this vintage with original upholstery intact and looking fine. I would stick with it; leather would not, I feel effect the value of the car as it could be considered original but I doubt it would pay for itself at sales time.
Don Gutting

oldcarguy615

Re: Packard upholstery

Post by oldcarguy615 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:18 am

It depends on the cost of the cloth. If your upholstery guy knows what he is doing and the pattern, (more waste with large pieces) leather may be cheaper.

I like to looks of a well appointed cloth interior, but at $80+ a yard and a directional pattern limiting economical use..... it adds up quick.

If properly cared for leather can outlast cloth, leather is more stain resistant and doesn't distort, depending on the manufacturer of the cloth and how well it is fitted.

When it comes down to resale, it will be condition at time of sale that determines what you will get. What do you want to use it for? How will each material hold up under your environmental conditions? Will you condition the leather as needed to keep it up? What will be best long term for you?

Todd,
the upholstery guy