Limousine Intercom Systems

Discussions related to body repair, trim refinishing, and paint, glass, etc.
Dave Czirr

Limousine Intercom Systems

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:13 pm

My good friend Steve Babinsky is urgently seeking technical information, and especially wiring diagrams, for limousine intercom systems made by the Dictograph Corp. and used in Packards, Chryslers, Lincoln, Cadillacs, and possibly other makes between 1934 and perhaps as late as 1940.

If anyone has any info on the Dictograph system or even thinks they might know who does, would you please contact Steve at his shop, Automotive Restorations, at 908-236-6400. Many thanks for whatever help you can offer.

PACKARDAPL

Re: Limousine Intercom Systems

Post by PACKARDAPL » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:25 am

I don't have any wiring diagrams on the intercom, but I can report that my 1939 1705 has such a system. This was a very late production # car. It was sold
at PMCC New York, a company store, so I guess it could have been added post factory. I'm missing part of mine, but the amp/speaker box is located
under-dash by the steering wheel, presumably a wire seen under the front seat--extending into the rear compartment would lead to the microphone. I'm
missing the microphone unit, but photos I have seen lead me to believe it was the same (appearance)as those used on dictograph office machines that
recorded on the wax cylinders. A number of mystery/detective movies of the later 30's & 40's featured this device as a plot element offering clues. The
one I recall was similar to a "candle-stick" telephone with a larger--maybe chrome--bell to speak into. Hope this will be of some assistance.

Dave Czirr

Re: Limousine Intercom Systems

Post by Dave Czirr » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:38 am

The microphone was the "Lollipop" type, nickel plated. They show up on eBay on occasion, I can get you a picture if you need it.

The problems with the unit that prompted this post have thankfully been worked out and the unit is now functional and will soon be on it's way to Pebble. Thanks to those who attempted to help.