Lost Capture Nut

Discussions related to body repair, trim refinishing, and paint, glass, etc.
wingunder

Lost Capture Nut

Post by wingunder » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:29 am

In the process of restoring my 1939 1700-6, I have removed all 4 fenders to prep them for refinishing. In removing one of them (rear fender), one of the lower attach bolts came out with no problem, except the capture (blind nut) nut was loose from it's weld, and fell into the rocker area of the body. How do I remedy that? Cut an opening into the rocker to find/reattach the nut, or is there an easier way?
Also, the rockers are both sound (thankfully), but do have surface rust on them. What I'm concerned with is inside condition. Would it be advisable to get that internal rust killing setup that Eastwood offers with the spray hose, etc? Does it do the job?
Thanks for any guidance,
Steve

Howard56

Re: Lost Capture Nut

Post by Howard56 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:13 am

If the opening the nut fell into is large enough you may be able to get a flexible magnet retriever into the opening and fish it out. If not, for my two cents as long as the lost nut is in a place it can do no damage I would just leave it alone rather than trying to cut and retrieve. I don't know the style of nut needed but replacements in varying types are readily available. Here are a couple sold by Restoration Specialties that are similar in looks to those used by Packard in many different applications. McMaster-Carr has other varieties
Attachments
nuts.jpg

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:27 am

There may be another solution if what Howard suggested won't work. Depending on the size of the hole that was left when the nut fell in, a blind rivet nut may work rather than cutting into the sheetment to retrieve the original. Pictured are some various rivet nuts and installation tool.
P1221198.jpg
Shown are 3 sizes, 1/4"-20 (in the tool). 5/16"-18 on the left and 3/8"-18 mounted on the bolt. The 1/4" rivet requires a 3/8" pilot hole while the 5/16" and 3/8" both require a 1/2" pilot hole. The 1/4" and smaller rivets can be installed with the tool shown. It's like a pop rivet tool. The 2 larger sizes require a much larger and more expensive installation tool. When I need to install the larger sizes, I use a bolt, nut and washers to install the rivets. You attach the nut, washers and rivet on the bolt as shown and insert the rivet into the pilot hole. Holding the head of the bolt steady with a wrench while tightening the nut will collapse the rivet causing it to bind to the inside of the sheetmetal. If the hole left in your sheetmetal is larger than 1/2" this probably won't work. If it would, you would have to replace your original bolt if it's fine thread with one that is coarse.

Good luck!
Dare to be Different - Buy and Build Packards!
Member:
Packard Automobile Classics
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com
Series 22/23 Packard Group on Facebook

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:41 am

I must confess that I pictured the broken weld nut in a different place and didn't think about the possibility of it being on the inside and completely inaccessible. I still would try to avoid cutting anything like a thru hole. If the square type weld nut couldn't be pushed into the opening and the wings welded from the outside and then finished flush with the metal, the blind rivet nut would surely be the better option.

wingunder

Post by wingunder » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:13 am

The Riv-nut idea is the perfect solution....and I HAVE a Riv-nut tool....this is why I ask questions. Using it never occurred to me. Thanks for the idea!! The 1/4-20 will be the right size :oops:

genehouse

Post by genehouse » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:39 pm

I think a lot of us learned something from this thread, I know I did. Thanks for the post and information. Gene
1949 Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special
1926 Star 6
1926 Star Landau (still in AZ waiting for me to pick it up!)

If you are going to skate on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:49 am

Blind rivet nuts are handy for mounting parts, particularly where it is hard or impossible the get a nut behind a panel. The tool shown in the blog is from Harbor Freight and is called a "Threaded Insert Riveter Kit". It comes with the tool and an assortment of rivet nuts in #6, #8, #10 and 1/4"-20. Cost about $20. The larger sizes, 5/16" and 3/8", are harder to find. Not expensive but when I found them I had to buy 100 of each and have only used a couple of each. If you have an application that could use a larger size, PM me with your address and I'll send you some.
Dare to be Different - Buy and Build Packards!
Member:
Packard Automobile Classics
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com
Series 22/23 Packard Group on Facebook