22nd series, vent window gaskets

Discussions related to body repair, trim refinishing, and paint, glass, etc.
lc3packs

22nd series, vent window gaskets

Post by lc3packs » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:57 am

I bought new rubber gaskets for the vent windows on our 1948 "sedan for seven". Though I did this job on our '47 many years ago, it is not coming back to me. I thought I simply removed the door frame and was able to get the vent window out - probably forgot. it appears on this that I have to remove the door panel and handles as well and remove the fitting where the pivot from the vent window goes down into the frame of the door. Is that correct? Was hoping someone put the process on you tube but don't see it.

Howard56

Re: 22nd series, vent window gaskets

Post by Howard56 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:44 am

You do have to remove the garnish molding, door panel etc to get to the various vent hardware because the vent does have to come out. Both front vent pivots extend thru the rubber.

The front is easier than the rear because the nut and spring assy on bottom of vent pivot shaft is accessible and can be removed with the frame in place. By loosening the main window channel screws and removing the sheetmetal screws around the vent window, the frame can tip out at the top. There is just enough tip angle available that you can access the screws holding the top vent pivot retainer to remove it and work the window out. While you can do it that way, it is sometimes easier to just pull the entire window and frame out of the door.

The bottom vent shaft goes thru the rubber on the rears too so also need to remove the vent. The top pivot is a special screw which goes thru the rubber but can be removed without taking the vent out. Unfortunately, the remainder of the rear is not as easy because the nut and spring assy on the pivot shaft is not readily accessible. The entire window and frame cannel assy has to be disconnected to be able to tip out and then lift up. It has to be blocked and held in that position while you remove the pivot hardware. Again, some have found it simpler to remove the entire assy from the door.

If you have the 46-50 service manual the window removal procedure is in the body section starting about page 6. If you don't have the manual you can download just the body section at http://www.packardinfo.com.

lc3packs

Re: 22nd series, vent window gaskets

Post by lc3packs » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:02 pm

Thanks, Howard, going back to the garage. Tommy.