Splash guards for 1952 Deluxe 200

Discussions related to body repair, trim refinishing, and paint, glass, etc.
willits18

Splash guards for 1952 Deluxe 200

Post by willits18 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:16 am

I am detailing the engine compartment of my 52 Deluxe 200. The splash guards are made of a canvas like material that came apart in my hands. After 65 years I guess that is to be expected. I didn't see replacements available from Max Merritt or Kanters. I was thinking of just getting some canvas and making my own. I am not going to do a full restoration on this car. I just want to make it a driver that looks and acts good on the road. All help appreciated. Thanks, Tracy.

Dave Czirr

Re: Splash guards for 1952 Deluxe 200

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:09 am

I'm not familiar with just exactly what the original material was, but many folks replace it with thin rubberized canvas sheeting which is pretty widely available. Hope this is helpful.

Dave

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:56 am

I believe this subject came up a few years ago and the consensus was the original appeared to be a heavy water repellent canvas in a dark army drab color but the actual specs were unknown. At the time any comparable material seemed to be hard to find in small quantity and the suggestion for the available and fairly inexpensive rubberized sheeting came to be the best solution.

Since that discussion some fabric sites have been found that have heavy canvas by the yard that would probably be around the correct density and color. Here is one but at a quick glance it's heavier weight materials does not appear to be the water repellent type although it could possibly be treated. They do have a waxed and water resistant dark olive drab but it is in a lighter weight material so without specs on the original it would be hard to tell which material is more correct. http://www.bigduckcanvas.com/number-8-1 ... olive-drab

willits18

Post by willits18 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:05 pm

I ended up making them out of some very plain black rubber floor mats. They look pretty good and very flexible. The inside of the fenders on my 52 Deluxe 200 are just painted the same color as the body along with the inner fenders. Did they ever undercoat these? They are undercoated on my 56 Dodge. I was planning on undercoating them
but the original paint is actually in decent shape. I may just paint them the same color. What are your thoughts?

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:39 am

Undercoating, when offered, was done at the dealer level and was also a common aftermarket proposition. Undercoating was never a factory offering.