Re-Silver Headlights

Discussions related to body repair, trim refinishing, and paint, glass, etc.
GJBINSC

Re-Silver Headlights

Post by GJBINSC » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:27 am

Anyone have a source for re-silver of headlights. I see only one vendor in Google search, there must be others.

Dave Czirr

Re: Re-Silver Headlights

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:03 am

Perhaps you need to pick up a copy of Hemmings Motor News, it is a more extensive listing of vendors to the hobby. I don't have any that I can recommend from personal experience, when I had mine done years back I just had a local jeweler/silversmith replate them and they've held up very good for more than 40 years with just an occasional polish.

GJBINSC

Post by GJBINSC » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:58 am

I found a guy in Oregon that does aluminum coating over nickel plating and claims to have in excess of 90% light reflection. He does high end NASA type optical coatings, and will do them after nickel plate for $ 75 pair and guarantees his work. Apparently even the silver does not reflect that much after some time due to oxidation which the aluminum does not have once he coats it. Uvira Inc. Interesting guy.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:15 pm

One does hear plenty of good comments about Uvira, no personal experience here, it wasn't available when I had mine done. When I had mine done the alternative to silver was Rhodium, essentially the same color reflectivity performance as silver but non-tarnishing.