Underseat heater

Discussions related to body repair, trim refinishing, and paint, glass, etc.
JoeSantana

Underseat heater

Post by JoeSantana » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:07 am

I'm restoring an under-rear-seat heater. In Service letters I found REAR COMPARTMENT HOT WATER HEATERS instructions for positioning the heater in 5-passengers cars like my 1940 Conv Sedan, but not all the instructions (that come with a new heater). One part of the underseat heater may be missing. Does this heater have a grille, a cover? One person thought if it does it is like the cream-colored plastic grille on a 1947 Packard.

I would like a picture of the heater, what little could be seen of it, a picture of the grille cover, if it should have one, and the instructions for installing the heater. Where are the Y's installed? What is the path of the heater in and out hoses?

Anything you know about this would be a help. I can't send pix at the moment because the rust is being removed.

Dave Czirr

Re: Underseat heater

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:57 am

What I know about these heaters you could stick in a thimble so don't rely on this too much, but in 1957 I bought a 1941 120 sedan from the original owner. From everything I could see it was unmolested and pretty much "as delivered" except for the mileage. It had an underseat heater and there was no grille or cover over it. That's about all I recall, sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Howard56

Re: Underseat heater

Post by Howard56 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:18 pm

When you can post a photo of your heater I'd appreciate seeing what you are working with. I have photos of the heater that went inside the rear seat on Clipper LWBs and maybe some other models and believe those used the square plastic grills. There was another underseat heater that was protected by completely being under the seat -- usually the front -- and those just had a fan that took air in from the top and forced it out thru the core at the front or back edges, or in the case of the dual stream, both front and back directions at the same time.

If it is not that style but physically mounts in an open area of the floor, unless it is well protected by being well under the seat and unable to be stepped on then I would surely believe there was some kind of hard grill that could support weight. There are a couple of photos of cars with an in floor heater in the 1940 photo archive at packardinfo. No idea which model heater or even if it is a Packard unit but the grill appears to be metal, fairly large and substantial. First photo is of a 1940 Formal Sedan and is photo 158 on page 16. The other is photo 164 on page 17 and is a 180 7 passenger. Not the best photos for small details but at first glance it appears it may be the same heater.