1942 2021 Packard Convertible

Discussions related to body repair, trim refinishing, and paint, glass, etc.
empetursson

1942 2021 Packard Convertible

Post by empetursson » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:52 pm

Couple of questions;
1. Is there anybody that knows about the power top vacuum tanks? I need to rebuild mine. They are 5 1/4" cylinders with a metal disc and leather between the metal plates to put the top up and pull it down. Need ideas on were to find material. I would think they are the same for 1941 and 1940.

2. Working on the doors installing the outside handles, I was unable to get the replacement door handles to fit. The original outside door handles had melted into a ball when the car was in a fire. When I pulled the door mechanism out it had a cross over piece going from one side to the other. The original door handle had a small square piece and the newer ones are long. I understand how the original worked with the door mechanism. My question is,were the convertible coupe door handles different than other models in the way they functioned. The appearance looks the same on the outside.

Einar

Dave Czirr

Re: 1942 2021 Packard Convertible

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:37 am

The answer to the door handle question is probably in the master Parts Lists, they will show if the handles differed with body style. I'll take a look when I get a chance, but if you're serious about your car you probably should purchase a parts list reprint. On the vacuum cylinders, do you see a reason you couldn't just buy some bulk leather and make your own seals?

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:49 am

Is the cylinder apart that you could take and post some photos of the piston and seals you need. Maybe seeing what is there will make someone recall where something similar might be used.

Bulk leather for making seals is available from McMaster-Carr and other places. Premade leather water pump cup seals are also available at pump stores but the largest diameter I see available is 5" and those may be too thick. There is a site where the process of making a replacement seal is shown but he was making a much smaller seal. If the seal needed is the same style perhaps the process could just be scaled up to the 5 1/4" diameter. Modern neoprene seals may be able to substitute for the rod seal at the cylinder end.

If all else fails and Flackmaster or no one else has a suggestion or a source perhaps the piston could be changed slightly. I could not find a premade size cup in leather or rubber that would fit my vacuum antenna. This was before I found the site showing how to make them so turned a new piston cup support plate to replace the old one. It is turned just a tad smaller in diameter than the cylinder. Instead of using cup seals and 2 plates forming a pressure fit to hold them, made a single piece with a wide groove where the seal went. Wrapped several turns of leather cord in the groove to make a new wider and flat seal assy more in the shape of modern pistons with multiple O rings or square piston rings. It seems to function well and the antenna is quite responsive. Used a neoprene seal for the antenna mast end. NO idea if something like that would work for the top but one advantage of making a separate piston end and using modern materials is it can be done quickly and if or when proper seals are found the old plate can be installed again and everything is back to stock.

John Harley

Post by John Harley » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:14 pm

I had a '41 160 sedan for a while and went through this. One of the door handles I ended up with a square shaft that was too short to work on the sedan. I was lead to believe that it was for an open car. I might still have floating around someplace. Its is shiny, I don't remember what side it is for. My memory it is that it was attached to the car with some electrical tape bundled around it inside the door . Needless to say I couldn't use the door on that side until I found a replacement

Best

John Harley

empetursson

Post by empetursson » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:28 am

Dave, Howard, John,

First I do have the parts manual, and a lot of other material for this car. The reason for the question on the handle is because I don't have very much of the original part and I did not take that part of the car apart. I just got boxes with stuff collected by the previous owner. But from Johns description I can see why the mechanism was designed this way. Its to allow the window to clear the door handle. If you have the rod going all the way across the window can't go down. The opening for a convertible window goes all the way to the edge of the lock side of the door frame. So I have some door handles I can't use and need to find others.

On the vacuum cylinder. Yes I do have it apart and I do have leather. I might need to get some a little thicker to make it work. There are 4 flat discs with the leather in between each plate. I'll see if I can post some pictures. On some of the discs the leather is channeled to fit into the metal disc edge and then the is a squared off piece that goes around the disc about 1/4 " square to complete the seal.

Thanks for all the great information, it really does help.

Einar

empetursson

Post by empetursson » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:09 pm

There are five discs, the outer discs have a channel shape. Two of the inner discs are curved on the edge, and the center disc is flat.
The attached file shows the discs and how the leather is placed on the discs.
Einar
IMG_0094.JPG