1940 Super Eight 160 Model 1803

Discussions related to body repair, trim refinishing, and paint, glass, etc.
RonaldC

1940 Super Eight 160 Model 1803

Post by RonaldC » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:31 pm

I am removing the dash to renew the wood grain. Have all components detached but can not take off the knobs for the hand throttle and light switch. Last things to remove. Appreciate any suggestions.

Howard56

Re: 1940 Super Eight 160 Model 1803

Post by Howard56 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:13 pm

On the headlight switch, the knob and shaft are a one piece molded assy. Depending on the switch it is removed one of two ways. If the switch is the type that has the two extra screws holding the switch body to the mounting bracket assy as in the first photo those screws come off and the body is rotated so the small flat locking spring is visible. Press that flat spring toward the tab to release the shaft from the switch tab and pull the shaft out of the hole. The bezel nut holding the shaft assy to the dash can be removed and shaft and switch mounting bracket will be free.

If the switch is the solid bracket version like the second photo the procedure is basically the same but the nut needs to loosen and remove first so the mounting bracket can be pulled and switch end tilted down enough to reach the flat spring on the tab. It takes a bit of manipulation to release the flat spring and get the shaft out of the hole in the tab but once out the shaft and knob along with the bezel can be removed from the dash.

No idea on the throttle if it is also a one piece molded assy but maybe Flackmaster or one of the other prewar guys will see your post and have some suggestions. Looking at an illustration in the parts book it may be a single Bowden cable that will need to disconnect from the linkage on the engine side and then by removing a nut on the cable housing at the rear of the dash similar to the way the headlight shaft assy is fastened the entire cable assy including the knob may pull out.
Attachments
screw version.jpg
non screw version.jpg

RonaldC

Re: 1940 Super Eight 160 Model 1803

Post by RonaldC » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:49 pm

Thank you Howard56 for the information. I'll see if I can contact Flackmaster. I'm afraid I'll have to get into the firewall, which I did not want to do, but your information is very helpful.