1928 443 Phaeton Windshield Stanchion Removal

Discussions related to body repair, trim refinishing, and paint, glass, etc.
RRPackFan

1928 443 Phaeton Windshield Stanchion Removal

Post by RRPackFan » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:41 pm

Need some assistance. I am trying to remove the windshield stanchions on my car so I can replate them. I have removed the two 7/8 nuts and washers. It appears that within the body mount there are threaded inserts (see Pics). I believe they are part number 114715 (windshield to body bracket adjusting bushings). I cannot get them out. I'm sure there is a Packard special tool for these. I, of course, do not have that but I made a tool out of an old socket that should work. I just can't them to break free. I have been hitting them penetrating oil but no dice. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on how to get them out? Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Attachments
443 Windshield Stanchion 3.jpg
443 Windshield Stanchion 4.jpg

Adam

Re: 1928 443 Phaeton Windshield Stanchion Removal

Post by Adam » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:27 am

Some heat, from a blowtorch or oxy-acetelene welding torch would free it off. The corrosion seems to have swelled the set screw so that is it extremely tight in the bracket.
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

PALaJoie

Re: 1928 443 Phaeton Windshield Stanchion Removal

Post by PALaJoie » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:35 am

I recently removed the stanchions from my 1923 and was having the same problems. Solution for me was to remove the windshields completely and the n gentle movement back and forth on the stanchions broke them free and they were easily removed
Pippo