Color on underside of Packards.

Discussions related to body repair, trim refinishing, and paint, glass, etc.
CanyonJerry1943

Color on underside of Packards.

Post by CanyonJerry1943 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:15 am

Hello all,
I am wondering what Packard did on my 53 Caribbean as to the underside. Was it painted like the body color or left in the red oxide primer?
Thanks, Jerry

Dave Czirr

Re: Color on underside of Packards.

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:35 pm

The underside of what are you specifically asking about? To my knowledge nothing was left in primer.

Specific to only the '53 and '54 Caribbeans, the upper part of the cowl (above the drip rail) was body color and the lower part was gloss black. Source: Packards International Engine Room Judging Guide.

CanyonJerry1943

Post by CanyonJerry1943 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:56 pm

Dave,
I referring to the floors, trunk floor etc. as seen from the bottom side. I can see on my parts car some color on the inside the cockpit; on floors, door edges etc., so I assume all of the interior areas were body color. But, some vehicle manufactures left the underneath in primer (I restored a 66 Mustang, and that was the case). I understand that the Caribbeans had the firewall in the engine compartment repainted black.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:02 pm

I suggest you call Leon Dixon, he's an excellent source of info on the Caribbeans, wrote the book on Mitchell-Bentley. Contact info in your club membership directory.

Leeedy

Post by Leeedy » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:23 pm

CanyonJerry1943 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:56 pm
Dave,
I referring to the floors, trunk floor etc. as seen from the bottom side. I can see on my parts car some color on the inside the cockpit; on floors, door edges etc., so I assume all of the interior areas were body color. But, some vehicle manufactures left the underneath in primer (I restored a 66 Mustang, and that was the case). I understand that the Caribbeans had the firewall in the engine compartment repainted black.
A.) I worked for Ford on the 1966 Mustang and I can assure you the ones built at Dearborn Assembly Plant (DAP) were absolutely NOT purposely left in primer. You might find some area left untouched by the sprayers, but it was not intentional. I can even tell you what part of the line painted them, where, when and how. The undersides of these cars were never intended to be fully finished surfaces that would be viewed so there was no overt effort to fully coat them in body color. Plus these car bodies were attached to carrying devices for the line which would have blocked some of the spray.

B.) The reference work that Dave refers to on Michell-Bentley-made Caribbeans is in error. The firewalls on 1953-54 Caribbeans were painted black, but not intended to be "gloss black." Regarding interior and under surfaces, since these surfaces were not intended to be viewed, there was no conscious effort to coat them completely with color, however 1953-54 Caribbeans usually were painted body color underneath. Just not a full spray as on exterior surfaces.