Grille bezel assembly

Discussions related to body repair, trim refinishing, and paint, glass, etc.
Coach Js

Grille bezel assembly

Post by Coach Js » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:37 am

can someone please let me know how the grille emblem bezel was originally secured to the grille in 1953? There are 3 "pins" on the bezel that insert into holes on the grille. The are not threaded. Was this glued into place?? These are expensive to replace and I don't want to lose it while driving.

Dave Czirr

Re: Grille bezel assembly

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:16 am

No, not glued! I forget the correct name, but they used little stamped steel threadless metal "nuts" that you "thread" onto the pins and hold onto the pin by friction - no actual threads are involved. Very common items, try the places that supply trim clips. If you can't find the "nut" style, then any of the type that just push onto the pin and grip by friction should work just fine.

Here's some from my spare parts, sorry for the image quality but I just placed them on the scanner which doesn't have any depth of field capability but I think you can get the concept. I suspect someone will come along with the proper name for these items.

There are many other types in addition to these cup nuts that simply push on over the pin and are retained by virtue of metal fingers that dig into the pin on the bezel. Go to any autobody shop in your area thats been in business for a while and I'd bet they would have quite an assortment for you to pick from.
Attachments
Trim nuts, threadless.jpg
Trim nuts, threadless.jpg (11.23 KiB) Viewed 183 times

Coach Js

Post by Coach Js » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:24 am

Oh perfect. Thank you Dave. Im glad its not glue haha.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:17 pm

I'm not certain that those 3 that I illustrated are correct for your application but if you want them, just send me some postage and they are yours.

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:18 pm

The fasteners are flat type speed nuts and come in different sizes and shapes. Don't remember if the grill bezel takes 1/16" or 3/32" but it is important to get the correct size. Restoration Specialties has them individually https://www.restorationspecialties.com/ ... ge_214.pdf and McMaster-Carr has them by the box of 50 or 100.

Coach Js

Post by Coach Js » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:51 pm

I greatly appreciate all the assistance on this. Dave, thank you for you're generous offer. I actually have the flat type in my garage. Sunday is supposed to be a decent day here, so I will attach this to the grill and do another oil change. Then go for a well deserved drive.