Total Length of 1934 Packard 1100 Sedan

Discussions related to body repair, trim refinishing, and paint, glass, etc.
Payneangelfire

Total Length of 1934 Packard 1100 Sedan

Post by Payneangelfire » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:34 pm

I have just purchased a 1934 Packard 1100 Sedan and am awaiting delivery. In setting up the garage for the car, I realized I only knew the wheel base length at 129 1/2 inches. What I am looking for is the total length bumper to bumper. I also need to add the length of the trunk mounted on the back.
Thanks for the help.
John P.

Dave Czirr

Re: Total Length of 1934 Packard 1100 Sedan

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:39 am

Congratulations on purchasing an 1100, I bought mine in 1963 and have been constantly enjoying it ever since. Though I'm sure it's in the Packard product literature somewhere I can't recall where I've seen the OAL dimension. Next time I'm in the garage with a few minutes to spare I'll take those measurements for you. I measure the extension of the trunk rack beyond the rear bumper at perhaps 10-1/2".

EDIT: Adding measurements from hubcap centers to front and rear bumpers and adding to the wheelbase I get an approximation of OAL between bumpers of a sidemounted 1100 of about 198".

UPDATE: Not sure where I made my error but the 1934 Salesman's Data Book gives the bumper to bumper OAL of the 1100 as 202-5/8".
Attachments
Cover pix.jpg
Cover pix rear.jpg

Payneangelfire

Post by Payneangelfire » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:15 am

Dave Czirr,
Thanks for the info. Working with pictures and a ruler I came up with 198 inches also. I'll go with the 202 5/8 inches from the salesman's data book. My storage garage is 20 foot long so I should not have a problem.

John P

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:04 am

John, thinking on the difference, perhaps I have an explanation. Logically the factory specification would be for a car with standard equipment, thus a rear-mounted spare tire which also used an extended bumper. The sidemounted spares and trunk rack was optional equipment and with the trunk rack in the up position, the OAL would be less. Thus, the spec is just for standard equipment cars.

Payneangelfire

Post by Payneangelfire » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:25 am

Dave,
Thanks for the follow up info. I just talked to Passport Transport and they will be picking up my 1934 Packard 1100 Sedan in St. Louis, MO either today or tomorrow and should deliver it to Sugar Land, Texas by mid-week. Looking forward to driving the car.

I tried to send you a direct email to ask a few other questions but it may not have made the trip. I am up to speed on my 1935 Buick 46C and my 1939 Cadillac LaSalle 5027 but do have a few questions about the Packard. First, what type of gas do you burn in the Packard? I use premium in the Buick and LaSalle thinking that it is cleaner than regular. Also, what type of oil should it use? The mechanic at Hyman, Ltd. said to simply use SAE 30. I use 15w-50 in both the Buick and LaSalle. Finally, still trying to find a hood ornament for the Packard. It comes with the standard bail type hood ornament. I first want to inspect the car and make sure it is pre-drilled for a hood ornament before buying one. I am looking for first, the Comoran/Pelican/Swan. My second choice is the Goddess of Speed. I found one of each on Ebay but they were both originals and very pricey. I am looking for an aftermarket manufactured hood ornament if they exist.

Thanks for your help.

John P.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:35 pm

John, I did respond to your email about gasoline and oil. Just plain 87 octane regular is more than you need, anything more is just tossing $ away. For driving where expected temps are moderate, id use a SAE 30 detergent oil if you know the engine is clean internally. If not, non-detergent until you have the opportunity to drop and clean the oil pan. 15-50 is WAY to heavy unless you live in an extremely hot climate or the engine is very badly worn.

There is no drilling for the hood ornament, its actually part of the radiator cap. There were recent sources (Dan Sommer) for stainless steel replica ornaments with the cap base, about $1000 last time looked. Bill Hirsch also had them at one time, you might check with him.