1937 120C Grill reassemble

Discussions related to body repair, trim refinishing, and paint, glass, etc.
chrislibby63

1937 120C Grill reassemble

Post by chrislibby63 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:03 am

I have disassembled my grill and had it chrome plated and now it's time to reassemble. The vertical vanes have tabs that fit through slots in the top and bottom grill pieces. The tabs are then bent over to hold them in place. The tabs are fairly stout or stiff. Does anyone have a suggestion for a tool or method for bending them over that will not bend or distort the top and bottom trim pieces? I'm not sure that I can get enough torque with needle nose pliers to bend them and the pliers won't let the tabs bend flat. When I took the grill apart the tabs were pretty bent over but someone had also put silicone goop on each tab which I assume was to prevent rattling.
Thanks for any help.

pack36997

Re: 1937 120C Grill reassemble

Post by pack36997 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:49 am

Years ago, I overheard a conversation on this subject at a Packard meet. The one individual told the other that he placed a dab of body filler on each tab to hold it in place. That eliminates the possibility of braking the tab off by bending it plus should eliminate rattles. I hope that helps.

Dwight Bedsole

Post by Dwight Bedsole » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:09 am

I have the same issue - I recently chromed the grill on my '37 120c, and noticed that when they disassembled the grill that the tops on a few of the tabs were broken making it difficult to bend the remaining/shorter tab. While I have not yet reassembled my grill I plan to drill a hole in what remains of the tab and insert a cotter pin to hold the vertical vanes in place. Hopefully I will not have to drill holes in all 17 vanes but if it is as difficult to bend the tabs as you say - I may have to or learn from your experience. Oh the joy of trying to get re-chromed parts to fit.

flackmaster

Post by flackmaster » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:02 pm

been there, done that, scars to prove it. Not an easy or fun job to reassemble this grille - rechroming embrittles the metal, and unless the chromer taped off the ends, likely thicker than the top/bottom slots. Best to fit, drill and pin then clear silicone to deal with rattle. no one will know but you. and as for the twisted skewer, well, again it ain't gonna slide right through your rechromed bars. Dremel tool again...
I know of no easy way.