6 volt AGM battery suggestion request

Discussions related to electrical and fuel system, gasoline, etc.
mehalley

6 volt AGM battery suggestion request

Post by mehalley » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:21 am

I'm keen to replace the NAPA battery that came in my 1949 Super 8 with a 6 volt AGM battery. Across the years I've had good luck with 12 volt Optima batteries but I keep hearing stories of how their quality control has fallen off recently. Any advice, suggestions or horror stories from your experience would be greatly appreciated.

Dave Czirr

Re: 6 volt AGM battery suggestion request

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:21 am

I'm still using NAPA conventional lead/acid batteries in my 6 volt vehicle and don't really see much if any incentive to change, I'm easily getting 6-8 years of service with lead/acid and never an issue. I do however follow a lot of forums on collector cars and can't say I've seen anything recently about quality problems with gel batteries.

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:52 am

I think the red top 6v Optima is going to be your only choice in AGM and you will need some kind of clamps or mount as well. I don't believe anything made specifically for an Optima battery will fit on the tray and IMO trying to use the original long hold down is problematic with the short battery. Dorman and Cypress have what appear to be universal looking plastic clamps to fit over the base flanges on the battery that will work although you will probably have to come up with your own screws and drill holes to go thru the tray.

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:47 am

My original battery tray was rusted beyond repair but the mounting legs that bolt to the frame were good. I built a new tray from 1/8 flat steel with angle iron welded to the sides to hold the batteries in place and bolted it on top of the original legs. I used dual Optima 6V batteries but a similar trey could be made to hold one. Built a top to go over the batteries and used standard hold-downs from an auto arts store.
Bat Mount_1.jpg
Mounting legs were installed then tray was positioned, marked and bolted.
Bat Mount_2.jpg
Batteries sit on a 1/8" rubber pad.
Bat Mount_3.jpg
Clears inner fender panel.
Dare to be Different - Buy and Build Packards!
Member:
Packard Automobile Classics
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com
Series 22/23 Packard Group on Facebook