56 Packard 400 dash gauges

Discussions related to electrical and fuel system, gasoline, etc.
Ernie Baily

56 Packard 400 dash gauges

Post by Ernie Baily » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:56 am

The water temp, oil pressure and fuel gauge all register but not correct. I removed the dash Voltage regulator and tested it and it showed not working. I have ordered a replacment from Kanter, so I hope this solves the problem. I need the gauges to read correctly so I can drive the car confidently. If the regulator does do the trick, I presume I'll have to have the gauges rebuilt( I already changed the sending units as well!) Has anyone run into this same problem?

Thanks, Ernie

Ernie Baily

Re: 56 Packard 400 dash gauges

Post by Ernie Baily » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:47 am

Well I just replaced the dash voltage regulator with one from Kanter and that seemed to fix the fuel gauge and the water temp gauge. How ever the oil pressure gauge still does not read. I bought a new oil pressure sending unit to switch it out, but first I'm going to recheck the wire and check the ohms on the current oil pressure sending unit. if niether one of these tests show anything, I'm going to change the the sender and see if that does anything. If the gauge still does not work it is most likely the dash gauge is the problem.

Ernie Baily

Post by Ernie Baily » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:04 am

I took the car for a test ride and the water temp & fuel gauge stopped working so I put in a replacement oil sender and put a new wire end on and now it works now with the NAPA sender. So I'm going to retest the water temp sending unit and drop the gas tank and repair the wire to it. I hope this fixes it all.

Ernie Baily

Post by Ernie Baily » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:04 am

I took the car for a test ride and the water temp & fuel gauge stopped working so I put in a replacement oil sender and put a new wire end on and now it works now with the NAPA sender. So I'm going to retest the water temp sending unit and drop the gas tank and repair the wire to it. I hope this fixes it all.