Heater Blower Switch

Discussions related to electrical and fuel system, gasoline, etc.
jmckeown

Heater Blower Switch

Post by jmckeown » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:42 pm

I have a 50 Deluxe 4 door sedan and the heater blower did not work. I located a new switch at Hershey and after connecting it to test it the blower works fine. My problem is how do you get the old switch out and get the new one in? Leaving the new one hanging by the wires, though functional, looks a bit ugly!!! Do I have to take the radio out and disassemble the dash or can it be done in an easier manner? I have tried to see if there is a way to remove the button without luck. I can't see any other way to get to the nut that holds it in place. My shop manual is no help since repairs of this type are not covered. Before I get into a major project to do this can anyone suggest the redcommended method without the dreaded(by me) dashboard disassembly. Any help will be appreciated.

JD in KC

Re: Heater Blower Switch

Post by JD in KC » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:26 pm

No, I'm pretty sure that the dashboard can stay where it is. Let me take a look at my '50 tomorrow and see if I can figure out how to get the switch assembly out. There is a Service Counselor (Vol 22, No. 6) that discusses removing the button on the headlight switch to install a newly designed switch latch but I need to look at the underside of the dash to fully understand what it's describing. It's something that I need to know anyway since I may install fog/driving lights at some point in the future.

JD in KC

Post by JD in KC » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:23 pm

The aforementioned Service Counselor states: "1. Remove the two slotted switch retaining nuts and lower the switch support to give access to the light switch knob retaining screw (Screw "A" in the illustration.)" The accompanying illustration shows the switch, but has no visual reference to the switch retaining nuts.

I went on a search for the two slotted switch retaining nuts. I started with the Packard Parts List, but there is no exploded view of the switch area.

Next I took a drop light out to the '50 and looked for the mystery retaining nuts. I think I found them by contorting my body into an upside down, semi sit-up position. I believe these nuts are silver colored, 'bout an inch or so long and are buried amongst the wires, switches, dust, and cables behind the row of switches.

If you have access to a limber teenager with small hands... it might not be too difficult to remove and replace these nuts (don't forget to disconnect the battery before anybody starts poking around those old wires with a screwdriver).

If you don't see the slotted nuts behind your dash let me know and I'll try to get a digital camera up there.

carcrank

Post by carcrank » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:58 am

I thank the 50 switches are mounted the same as on a 48. The switches are mounted on a bar that is held to the grill panel by two slotted nuts located between the 2 end switches on each end. By removing the 2 slotted nuts you can carefully pull the mounting bar back to remove the nut that holds the heater switch in place. You may have to pull screws that hold the ventilation control panel so you can pull it down to get to the switch panel a lot of stuff in the way. Look at the picture of 48-switch panel.
Attachments
Switch panel Nuts.JPG
48 switch panel

JD in KC

Post by JD in KC » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:28 pm

Those are the same slotted nuts I was trying to describe from my '50. Great photo... Going to keep a copy in case I add fog/driving lights.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:33 pm

Those same slotted nuts are used on other applications like the ignition coil nuts on NorthEast equipment. Standard Ignition used to sell a special wrench just for them. I could take a picture if you're interested.

PS - here's a close-up of the special tool for the slotted nuts, it's a Standard Ignition DT-5 and you see them occasionally at flea markets for $1 or $2, or it's an easy project to make one. You might only use it 3 times in a lifetime, but it sure is handy. Hopefully you can see that the end between the "ears" is drilled to slip over the stud while the ears engage the nut. The other end is a simple nut driver.
Attachments
Standard DT-5.jpg

jmckeown

Post by jmckeown » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:50 am

Thanks to all for the very helpful info. I only had the Service Letters up to Vol 21. I did the switch change last night and it went pretty smoothly. It was necessary to lower the heater controls out of the way, as suggested, to gain better access. I had a little difficulty getting the slotted nuts restarted. Like many car repairs it would have been better to have three hands (two to hold switches and one for the nut). The special tool mentioned might have been helpful. I took advantage of having the panel out to install the fog light switch I had at the same time. Again, thanks for all the help.