twin coil ignition

Discussions related to electrical and fuel system, gasoline, etc.
huiga

twin coil ignition

Post by huiga » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:05 am

re 1933 Packard eight, twin coil ignition, two sets of breaker points,

What is the wiring scheme for the system ?

Henry Uiga

jacko

Re: twin coil ignition

Post by jacko » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:53 pm

Henry, I have a 1933 model 1002 which has the same engine as yours. Each set of points fires 4 of the eight cylinders. A spark is generated each 45 degrees of rotor rotation. This dual setup was designed with the thought in mind that it would perform better at high speeds. The Packard service letters have a very good and detailed explanation of how to gap each set of points and how to syncronize the movable set of points relative to the stationary set. In the Cormorant in the parts for sale section, Robert Cannole sells a new set of coils and base which look identical to the original that came with the engine. I purchased a set from him and the engine ran noticeably better than with the old original coils. I recently installed new condensers from NAPA with a capacitance of 0.200 microfarad and the engine is running very good and strong. One of the original condensers was shutting down half of the engine--when removed, I measured the capacitance and one condenser was at 0.240 microfarad and the other at 0.483 microfarad. Replacing them with new physically small condensers from NAPA solved my problem. Just keep in mind that each set of points are independent of one another but must be syncronized to fire at 45 degrees of distributor shaft rotation.

Bob Jacko

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:30 pm

In the absence of the little NorthEast synchronizing tool, I've used the enclosed method many times (originally published in Victoria Voice, newsletter of Packard East, a region of PAC). If you work carefully you can be extremely accurate. Hope you find it helpful. There is no mystery to the wiring, as already noted it's just 2 separate 4 cylinder setups, and is clearly shown in the wiring diagrams that accompany the Service Letters; I also believe the wiring diagram can be found in the Reference section of this website. (Correction: See "Wiring" on the main PAC site for the diagram).
Attachments
DualPointSynchroFinal.jpg

DWS1003

Post by DWS1003 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:52 am

Jacko,
Do you have the part numbers for the NAPA condensers you installed? Were you able to install them in the original inside position? Someone has installed "modern" condensers on the outside of my distributor. When the engine is hot and on attempt to restart, the car behaves as one with bad condensers. I am working on synchronizing the points and getting the timing set.

Can someone forward to me the contact info for the supplier of the new twin coils?
Darrell
Indianapolis, IN
1933 Packard 1003 Super 8
92 Porsche C4, 93 Porsche C4, assorted Honda's, Toyotas, ....