53 packard clipper delux

Discussions related to electrical and fuel system, gasoline, etc.
Packard53

53 packard clipper delux

Post by Packard53 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:12 pm

I have j11c spark plugs in my car and every time I start the car for the first 2-3 minutes the car puts out black soot. It stains the drive way and the spark plugs are covered in black soot. It then seems to run fine.

1 I checked the level of oil in the oil bath filter and it is OK.

2 ? Does anyone know if J11c plugs are correct? and what should the Gap be?

3 I only use Regular gas

4 All this soot is happening despite the wheather being warm

5 It started after I had the carburator rebuilt and then I brought it back twice becuase of the soot and was told the carburator was not set too rich but it does look like the soot is unburned fuel

6 The car is not burning oil and the oil was recently changed and seems fine

Any Ideas as too what I should check next to address the soot problem and are J11c plugs correct and what is the correct Gap? Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated. I do own a service manual Thanks!

Dave Czirr

Re: 53 packard clipper delux

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:41 pm

Hi John - welcome! AC46 at 0.025" gap is recommended by AC for all 1953 Packards, and that corresponds to Champion J11 and AutoLite A9, those that last number may no longer be active.

Soot generally has only 1 cause, excessively high fuel/air ratio. You know the typical reasons I believe, stuck or misadjusted choke, carburetor float level set too high, excessive fuel pump pressure or a leaking carburetor needle and seat, or a sunken float would be among the first things to check. Are you running an electric fuel pump?

You say it only puts out the black soot for the first 2 or 3 minutes, so that would suggest you focus on the automatic choke; service instructions give the number of "notches" one side or the other of a center index on the cover, but you might want to try a more dynamic method. With the engine warm and idling, punch the throttle to make sure the fast idle cam is disengaged, then loosen the choke cover screws and rotate so the valve is fully open, and then go 2 or 3 notches further to put just a bit of tension on it. Recheck with a cold engine (not running) by just hitting the throttle linkage to engage the choke and fast idle cams - the valve should be fully shut. Better a little too lean (open) than rich if you have a choice because it only affects warm-up for a minute or two.

Dave

Packard53

Post by Packard53 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:00 pm

Thanks you very much for the info I will try your advice.JR

kens53clip

Post by kens53clip » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:33 am

Dave knows his stuff, so I will not disagree with him. I will offer a bit of info that might assist. I have owned two 1953 Packard Clipper Deluxes, one from 1973 to 1989 and the one that I own now that I bought in January 2008 and am restoring. The 1951-1954 Packard shop manual lists three different spark plugs, Champion J8, Autolite A5, and AC 46-5, all of which have probably been renamed since then. The Packard shop manual lists a spark plug gap of .023"-.028". The last spark plugs that were put in were put in by my mechanic (to whom I lend my Packard shop manual) in the summer of 2008 and are Champion RJ12C. Not to say that yours are wrong, but apparently there are several choices, possibly depending on the condition of the engine. I do some work on my car myself and hire some work done, depending on whether I have no time and money or no money and time and depending on whether I think I have the tools or the skills. I would recommend you get a 1951-1954 Packard Shop Manual if you do not have one, even if you have someone else do the work. PAC sells them. You can also get them new or used on eBay. I bought mine new on eBay from paperheaven (aka Johnson's Auto Literature) for $41.85 (including shipping) last summer. I am no mechanic but do have some experience with the car so if you would like to trade ideas or information on anything about the car you can contact me at my email address - kendunning@juno.com Best of luck!
:D
kens53clip
Ken Dunning
Ken
kens53clip
1953 Packard Clipper Deluxe 4 dr. sedan

JWL115C

Post by JWL115C » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:14 am

Ken, your mention of the spark plugs in your engine, stirred up an old memory. I believe your Champion RJ12C spark plugs decode as follows: R means they are resistor supression type - to minimize radio and tv interference; J means it is a 14mm plug with, I think, 7/16" reach (length of threaded part); 12 is the heat range this would be a hotter plug by two heat ranges as compared to a J8; and C means it has a copper core. Champion H series plugs were similar to the J series but differed in reach, I think they were 3/8". N series Champion spark plugs had the longest reach, I believe 3/4" I could be wrong about the reach part, but the rest I think is correct. Champion spark plugs with a "Y" designation (e.g., J12Y) means they have a projected electrode. These plugs could only be used in overhead valve engines. I offer this as a reference means to determine characteristics of spark plugs, and without any formal research being done.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:27 pm

Here's the spark plug conversion chart I often refer to. Keep in mind that it's 1962 and not all of the numbers are still active items.
Attachments
Plug conversions 1962.jpg