1928 526 Drum headlights

Discussions related to electrical and fuel system, gasoline, etc.
rrhorton

1928 526 Drum headlights

Post by rrhorton » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:57 pm

Received my cans and rings back from the plater and have the fitting and new bolt ready to attach. I have obtained two reflectors but the one shown seems to be the one that fits my cans. It has two tabs at 3 and 9 o'clock that look like the fit into each other to align the reflector. My reflectors have two lamp sockets. I know the center one is a two filament bulb for high and low beams. Is the other for parking light bulb? Does it go at 12 or 6 o'clock? Or does the 526 not have two lamp sockets?
I also had Olson's gaskets make me a couple of cork strips to place around the reflector to make the lens tight when the ring is attached. Can anyone tell me how to assemble the light correctly. Are there any lens clips, what are the hole and slot in the reflector at 6 and 12 o'clock for?

Where can I get the adjustment assy that fits on the inside of the can? Right now I am planning to fill the holes with chrome machine screws and use new fixed bulb sockets in the reflectors.
1928 headlights 1.JPG
1928 headlights2.JPG
1928 headlights3.JPG

Adam

Re: 1928 526 Drum headlights

Post by Adam » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:46 am

Hi

The lamps on my 533 are exactly the same as yours. I cannot answer all of your questions in detail from memory, but I will have a look tonight to see how they are assembled.

From memory, the parking light bulb holder is towards the top of the lamp, presumably so that the light is reflected downwards. My car does not use these bulbholders as UK lighting regs demanded parking lamps on the front fenders.
There are clips holding the lens into the metal rim, but I will have to look to check what form they take.
I will need to check what the hole and slot do, but I think they are for the lamp adjustment.
I can`t remember much about the adjuster, but I will look and report back.

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:22 am

I had a look at my car and can confirm that the parking bulb goes towards the top.

There are three wire clips holding the lens into the surround. I have taken a couple of pics that I will try to post tomorrow. I have no idea where to get them from, but you could probably fabricate something to suit.

My car has no gasket around the lens/body, but it sort of feels as though it should. I am sure it will work well with a gasket in there.

The hole and the slot don`t seem to do anything obvious on my car. Not sure what they are for.

You will no doubt have realized that the two screws on the back are to focus the bulb by moving it in/out or up/down relative to the reflector. I should think you could fix the position without being detrimental. I think alignment of the lamp is done by moving it on the bottom swivel mounting, as with most other cars of the era.

Will try to post the pics in the morning.

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:32 am

Great info Adam. I'm just guessing but the wire clips that hold a glass lens in the bezel or surround are often "W" clips; if that's what's needed I've seen them listed somewhere, perhaps Restoration Supply or Restoration Specialties. Pix of the W clip from my '34 Eight headlamp lens attached.
Attachments
W Clip.jpg

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:55 am

The clips are slightly different to Dave`s, in that they have a metal tab attached which grips the glass and hooks into the edge of the surround. But I suspect the one Dave posted would still do the job. Apologies for the poor quality photos, the combination of an iphone camera and a dull day did not help. Also my use of a toweling rag as a background wasn`t great.

Hope it is of some use.
Lamp 1.JPG
Attachments
Lamp 2.JPG
Lamp 3.JPG
Lamp 4.JPG
Lamp 5.JPG

rrhorton

Post by rrhorton » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:51 am

Adam,
Thanks for the reply and photos. Since I probably will not be able to locate any of the tabed clips like yours, I will have to make something that will fit. Adding the gasket around the reflector so that it rests on the glass should put enough pressure on the glass so that it will not move around but aligning the lens and ring assy to the reflector and body might be difficult. We will see how it goes.