car stalling

Discussions related to electrical and fuel system, gasoline, etc.
lincoln1970

car stalling

Post by lincoln1970 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:39 am

my 1942 180 stalls out at around 25 to 35 mph, what could the problem be? also it has a 327, any help would be greatly appritiated thanks, derek b sippy

dak955

Re: car stalling

Post by dak955 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:10 am

I have a couple of questions regarding the stalling. Does this happen at any operating temperature? Does the car restart immediately or does it have to cool off for awhile? Was any work done on the car (tune up, carb work etc.) just prior to this issue starting to happen? Does the engine die immediately or does it slowly start to lose power then die? Do you know when the last time the car had a tune up, fuel pump replacement? Is there an in line fuel filter somewhere on the car and if so, has it been checked? Thanks...

lincoln1970

Post by lincoln1970 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:04 am

any temp, it doesent seem to have to cool off, no work has been done to the car in years, the engine slowly loses power then dies, I'm not sure when the last tuneup or any other work has been done but it has been at least 2 years, I haven't checked for a clogged fuel filter yet

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:15 am

Also check the rubber hose connecting the fuel pump to the steel fuel line on the frame. In addition to the fuel filter being clogged, that symptom has happened to others when the hose has internal problems. Old original hoses can become hard and the inner lining can crack enabling a piece to move under suction and block the fuel path. On newer hoses, if they were installed before ethanol gas was common the hose may not be rated for ethanol and can soften and swell the lining.

41Packard

Post by 41Packard » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:24 pm

Another possibility from your symptoms could be your gas cap. It's suppose to be vented and if you've either replaced the cap with an unvented type or if the vent hole has been plugged, you would cause that symptom.

DickSteele

Re: Car stalling

Post by DickSteele » Sun May 14, 2017 6:13 pm

My 1942 Packard Convertible 1599-2293 has a long history of not starting when hot. The carburetor has been rebuilt. An electric fuel pump was installed to ensure adequate fuel is supplied. Trying to solve the problem the driver depresses the gas pedal about 80% then turns on the key and depresses the gas pedal to engage the starter. When cool the engine engages quickly. If we drive for sometime the engine temperature gage normally rests in middle. Starting the car we follow the same procedure as initially starting it. It will crank several times and then start. If the temperature gauge is above the middle when we stop the car, turn off the fuel pump and let the car die and then turn off the key. We open the bonnet to help the engine cool off. Depending on the length of the stop the engine might cool or it might not. We go through the same starting procedure. If the car does not start we turn off the electric fuel pump and the key. Wait going through the same procedure to start except that the fuel pump is off. It may start but more than likely it will not. We have jumped it with a jumper battery and bump started when conditions allow. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? The car has been in New Mexico since 1951. It began its service in Colorado Springs and spent 1942-1945 on blocks. It left Colorado in 1951. I have owned her since 1962 and experienced it's inability to start on hot New Mexico summer days from the beginning. It hates really slow traffic and I have learned not to drive in Parades unless I am up front or they occur in winter. It has a fairly new starter and we are considering rebuilding it so the engine will turn faster. It is our understanding that Packard in later Year models put in a vacuum controlled drain on the bottom of the intake manifold to allow any residual raw gas to drain out of the manafold so it would not flood the engine when restarting.Any advice or comments would be appreciated. I would like to solve this problem before I turn 71. The Packard is four years older than I am.

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:20 am

Too much pressure from the electric pump could be flooding the engine as could percolation of gas out of the carb if the gas is expanding and dribbling down into the manifold as the car sits. Modern gas is much more volatile and prone to bubbling than gas available even a few years ago. There have been some on the packardinfo forum who have had misadjusted anti percolator valves on the carb. If your car has that issue the gas would be more prone to being forced into the intake manifold because it would have no other place for pressure to vent.

Believe the manifold drain valve was eliminated postwar but there were instructions in a service counselor on how to install one if needed. Here is a photo of what it looks like. IIRC, one poster was having issues with his car because the check ball in the valve had fallen out and manifold was drawing air thru the tube all the time. Don't remember all his symptoms.
Attachments
manifold drain.jpg

DickSteele

Post by DickSteele » Tue May 16, 2017 8:07 pm

Thank you. Will work with my mechanic. The problem of flooding was there before we put the electric fuel pump on. That is why we built in the step of shutting off the electric fuel pump. One of the inherent problems is that my car was built with the smaller eight. It sits way back from the radiator so it does not get an air benefit unless it is running at speed. As I said it loves cold weather and the problem goes away. Will keep everyone posted. Dick Steele