battery charging made easy for under seat cars

Discussions related to electrical and fuel system, gasoline, etc.
bobhattler

battery charging made easy for under seat cars

Post by bobhattler » Wed May 31, 2017 9:58 am

It may look like I have a solution, as the subject implies, I don't. The battery on my 1940 120 is under the front seat. I had to charge the battery so I took the seat out took the cover off hooked up the charger. Next day I pulled the seat belts up and tied them to the seat back. The trick to get the seat back requires that the two clips be engaged first so I get in the car and position the seat to engage the clips and then I put my knees on the seat and tilt it back into position, this usually takes a couple of tries. Then I unhook the bungie cords from the seat belts and reposition them on the seats.

Has anyone tied into the negative cable and run an extension up to the engine bay for easy access. The above procedure is way too cumbersome. I even thought of moving the battery into the engine bay.

Any ideas.

Bob

Dave Czirr

Re: battery charging made easy for under seat cars

Post by Dave Czirr » Wed May 31, 2017 11:12 am

No need to run any wire anywhere, I don't know of anyone with a underseat battery that actually connects a charger there, we all just open the hood and connect to the engine block (ground) and hot pole on the starter solenoid. The downside of that is that we may not be checking the fluid level in the battery frequently enough.

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Wed May 31, 2017 11:19 am

I'm not familiar with your model but other than removing the seat to service the battery (clean terminals, add fluid, etc.), why couldn't the battery be charged by connecting the negative lead of the charger to the starter connection from the battery and the positive to a grounded point on the engine? Is that possible?
Dare to be Different - Buy and Build Packards!
Member:
Packard Automobile Classics
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com
Series 22/23 Packard Group on Facebook

Don R's Cars

Post by Don R's Cars » Wed May 31, 2017 11:30 am

My Battery Tender brand charger has a removeable section of the hook-up cable. I hooked it to the battery, ran the cable out under the seat at a protected point then just unplugged it at the slip terminal and left it there when I drove the car.
Don Rundgren
McKinney, Texas
1934 1100 Eight Sedan

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Wed May 31, 2017 12:28 pm

Tinman what you suggest is exactly what I was trying to say 2 posts earlier, I just didn't express myself as clearly as you.

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Wed May 31, 2017 1:41 pm

After my 6V Battery Tender failed, I bought a Genius G750 automatic 6V/12V .75 amp charger. It senses the voltage and switches automatically. It comes with both clamps and ring terminals that can permanently connected with a short fused cord with a well-protected connection. Had it over a year and it works great and cost about $30.
Charger.jpg
Dare to be Different - Buy and Build Packards!
Member:
Packard Automobile Classics
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com
Series 22/23 Packard Group on Facebook

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Wed May 31, 2017 2:16 pm

I use a very old (30 years?) 6/12 volt trickle charger. Max of 8 amps for 6 volt, automatically tapering to near zero as the battery approaches full charge.

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:32 pm

Like Don R I have a cable connected to the battery that comes out under the seat , with an isolator cover . I then easily can connect a batterytender type charger ( 1.5 amp) every month for a couple of days and never have a loss of battery charge . I do the same on all my old vehicles and motorcycles and my batteries usually give me years (8 to 10) of service. However it is a great point from Dave that you need to check the liquid , level and clean terminals ( if necessary at least once a year which I do with the obligatory anual oil change .
Sounds like you have plenty of options here. This forum is generally very good.

bobhattler

Post by bobhattler » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:53 pm

Dave, I did as you said and the battery was near dead the next morning. Sacred the crap out of me as I thought I burned the battery. I took the seat out checked the water level and it was fine. I hooked up the battery charged over night, and the next morning it started the car on the first couple of revs.
One thing different was I hooked the ground to a bolt on the fender. I am not sure why it would discharge the battery as I had doubled the ground straps. I hooked the negative to the starter cable and thought I solved the problem, hence the reason for the posting.
Now I can solve the problem. Every one who responded had the same problem with cars discharging over time when not used. For a while there I thought I was alone and was doomed to pulling out the seat.

Thank each of you for taking the time to help me,

Yours truly,
Bob

mrpushbutton

Post by mrpushbutton » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:53 am

Be certain to install a battery kill switch. There can be many leakage to ground paths that deplete batteries, even when they are connected to a tender. It's just a good safety thing to disconnect the battery when not driving.