Carburettor heat shield

Discussions related to electrical and fuel system, gasoline, etc.
packuk

Carburettor heat shield

Post by packuk » Sat May 05, 2018 11:16 am

Hi
I am still getting issues with transferred heat my 41 clipper runs fine on main highway but when I encounter slow moving issues I.e. a parade or slow traffic and I am using 1 st gear the temp gauge moves to just over half way and the engine misses I think this is due to the carb getting hot from tranfered manifold heat causing the petrol to evaporate before it gets to engine. I am going to insulate petrol feed line. Is there a heat shield for carb and maybe fuel pump available
This is a forty one clipper 8 cyl with a carter wdo carb I have an additional electric fan in front of rad but this does not help.
I am not losing water or boiling over . I have addressed other comments raised on forum

Dave Czirr

Re: Carburettor heat shield

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat May 05, 2018 11:38 am

The car should really run just fine even with the temperature gauge at or very near it's maximum, one limiting factor is today's gasoline which is more volatile than what these cars were designed for. Is the heat shield around the fuel pump still in place? I do not believe the junior clipper used a carburetor heat shield.

One thing to investigate is why the temperature rises when at low speeds or in low gear, that really shouldn't happen except in very extreme conditions like temperatures of 95° F. or higher, driving at very high altitudes, for example 6000 feet or more, etc. There are many things to consider as causative but you might start by confirming that the ignition timing is not retarded, that the fan belt is the proper size and fit, and that you don't have an excessively lean fuel mixture. Are the air passages around the radiator tubes and fins clear of debris? Any recent history on the radiator and water pump?
Attachments
Fuel pump heat shields  Ulrich.JPG

packuk

Post by packuk » Sat May 05, 2018 2:03 pm

Hi Dave thanks for getting back
There is no pump heat shield
New rad and water pump new fan belt not sure on timing my guy is away in Singapore for three weeks. Do I richen the mix with the choke setting which has lean written on it , this has caused me hot start issues so I did lean it a few clicks previously which did help with the hot start problem
I have ordered new heat soak gasket and a rebuild kit for carb but I am not capable to doing it myself
Is the pump heat shield available? Or is that an old document you attached.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat May 05, 2018 2:30 pm

I wasn't speaking of lean mixture on the choke but rather on the high speed main jets as determined by size and float level - make sure your carb rebuilder sets the float level.

Yes, the heat shield is a repro item by John Ulrich. I'll post his contact info when I get back to my desktop.
Attachments
Ulrich contact info.jpg

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri May 11, 2018 5:03 am

Dave Czirr wrote:
very extreme conditions like temperatures of 95° F. or higher, driving at very high altitudes, for example 6000 feet or more, etc.
Not much chance of either of those things in the UK !! :D :D
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.