1948 Super 8 Brake Light+ Broken Starter Wire

Discussions related to electrical and fuel system, gasoline, etc.
Mistahnash

1948 Super 8 Brake Light+ Broken Starter Wire

Post by Mistahnash » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:18 pm

We just picked up a super 8 and the brake lights are not working. Headlights, tail lights, fog lights do work. I checked the bulbs with a multi meter and they seem ok with 0.7 ohms. Was thinking maybe it was the circuit breaker but that also seemed ok getting voltage to both ends. The interior light did turn on but now does not, i checked the rear dome light and it wasn't reading any Ohms so thats probably the issue for that.

So im assuming its the brake light switch? Where is that located and whats the best way to test it?

Also the wire coming from the top of the starter, I think its the magnetic starter switch but im not sure on that. Whatever sits on top of the starter. The top wire coming from that is snapped and now has to be bridged back to the bolt on the side to start the car. He started it normally with the accelerator when he showed it to us the first time but at some point it broke before we actually picked it up. Cant figure out exactly where that wire is suppose to go.

Posted a pic of the wire im talking about.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
Attachments
small.jpg
Pic of the broken wire

Dave Czirr

Re: 1948 Super 8 Brake Light+ Broken Starter Wire

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:40 am

The brake light switch is a hydraulic pressure switch located at the master cylinder. To test, it should show continuity between the posts when hydraulic pressure is applied. Replacements are about $15 from NAPA, SL-134.

If you go back to the main website page and select "Wiring" from the left-hand menu bar, you will find a wiring diagram for your car which will show the starter circuit.

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:45 am

There is a black plastic oval or rectangle object with two screw terminals on the back of the carburetor. That is the starter switch and the wire from the solenoid will connect to one side of the switch. If it is still wired per factory it would be the far terminal towards the fender. A wire coming from the ignition switch is on the other side. There should be either a fabric or maybe black vinyl wrapped section of the loom coming from the switch with those two wires and maybe a third wire from the heater motor. Just follow that section of loom back and somewhere near the starter you should see a place where the wire has been broken. It is probably right at the end where the other wires connecting to the side solenoid terminal exit. The broken end may be under the wrapping on the loom.

Just so you are aware, the old fabric and rubber wire looks to be very brittle. As evidenced by the broken sections of insulation on the short piece you show it is very possible there are other and maybe worse spots -- Some will be visible and others could be hidden under the loom wrapping. Keep that in mind because bending or flexing the wiring carelessly will cause the old rubber insulation to crack and even break off in chunks possibly causing some shorts.
Attachments
start wire.jpg

Mistahnash

Post by Mistahnash » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:53 am

Thanks for the info, i peeled back the loom back a bit on the wires coming from the side terminal and found no broken wires, cant find any close to the starter that look broken which is very confusing. I can see where the wires coming from the starter switch, followed them along the firewall and they merge into the main part of the loom near the starter just hesitant to strip too much loom off because its so stiff and brittle. There is about 6-7 inches of loom between the wires going to the starter and where the starter switch wires merge into the loom.

Mistahnash

Post by Mistahnash » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:09 am

Nvm i found it eventually, peeled up another half inch and found the other end. Thanks again for the help!