How to replace antenna grommet, 1948

Discussions related to electrical and fuel system, gasoline, etc.
Sjscat

How to replace antenna grommet, 1948

Post by Sjscat » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:53 pm

I have the radio antenna on the roof of my 1948 Deluxe. The rubber grommet between the antenna and the roof is shot. How does one remove the antenna to replace the rubber piece?

Thanks!

Howard56

Re: How to replace antenna grommet, 1948

Post by Howard56 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:33 pm

Remove the inside knob and there should be a thin nut that will be visible. Once the outside nut is removed and the plastic inside finish bezel is removed there should be a larger nut holding the antenna assy to a mount area on the windshield header. Carefully work thru the hole in the headliner to disconnect the antenna wire from the antenna body. It has either a spring clip around the body with a plugged in wire -- or if the wire is soldered to the body, a connection a few inches away on the antenna wire. With removal of the large nut and wire the entire assy should pull out from the roof side. Note that the headliner could be rotten and shrunk tight not providing a lot of room to work so it must be treated with care while you are disconnecting the antenna lead. It may be obvious but it also might be a good idea to mark the eccentric bushing so you can put it back in the same position so the antenna will line up with the lower antenna stop support properly.

Here is an illustration of the typical assembly that was part of the old Yesterday's Radio catalog Jerry had before he retired. Lavine Restorations bought the Yesterdays Radio business and carry the plastic parts if you need them. https://classiccarreproductions.com/pro ... y/antenna/
Attachments
roof antenna illustration.jpg

Sjscat

Post by Sjscat » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:59 am

Thank you! I am grateful there are people who will help. I don’t but to mess up more than I fix!

Sjscat

Post by Sjscat » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:51 am

The small job is done. The advice was very helpful. Thank you!

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:54 am

Glad things went well. Did your antenna match the drawing fairly well and is there anything you would caution or suggest to others that would make the procedure easier or faster?