1930 Packard 8 Cyl Boiling Fuel in Vacuum Canister

Discussions related to electrical and fuel system, gasoline, etc.
n2oldthings

1930 Packard 8 Cyl Boiling Fuel in Vacuum Canister

Post by n2oldthings » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:30 pm

I took my 30 Packard out for drive today. After 2 miles the engine started popping and missing and had not much pulling power at all, especially trying to go up a hill. This is the second time this has happened since purchasing the car. The first time it happened I thought maybe it was due to low gas in the tank and when I went up a hill, the gas was too low to be picked up by fuel line at an incline. I filled the tank to full. And today it happened again after 2 miles of driving. The temp today was in the 80's, not very hot day. After a while it had no power and popping thru carburator and it would hardly go at all. I thought of mayby faulty points. I finally made it home. The engine temperature is in normal range and not overheating at radiator. When I opened the hood I could hear a bowling sound coming from the fuel vacuum canister. Could this be vapor lock causing my running problem,with engine starving for fuel. The canister was very hot to the touch.
It am sure it was made to run fine when new, what could be wrong now. Has anyone had this problem before.

Adam

Re: 1930 Packard 8 Cyl Boiling Fuel in Vacuum Canister

Post by Adam » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:47 am

Hi N2

You have an interesting problem, that must be most vexing. I was amused by your comment that the 80`s was not a very hot day. Here it is a very hot day indeed!!

I have not encountered boiling of the fuel in the autovac, but, I suppose it could be percolating, if sufficiently hot. My 28 six has lagging (probably asbestos) around the exhaust front pipe to protect the area of the autovac and steering box,being RHD. Does yours have any lagging?

The other thing to consider is that the fuel tank breather could be blocked. This would certainly cause the starvation that you describe and the bubbling in the autovac could be air making it`s way back to the tank by the only means possible. I had that problem once and it turned out thathe breather, in the filler cap, was blocked. Removing and cleaning up the cap cured the problem. I would check there frst.

Hope this helps

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

n2oldthings

Post by n2oldthings » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:00 pm

Hi Adam,
Thanks for the reply post. Well today was 97 degrees, now thats hot here. Did not drive the packard today for sure. You ask if there were any lagging around the exhause. There is nothing to block the heat reaching the autovac. I have thought about rigging up some type of heat shield (asbestos) or something to go between the autovac and exhaust. I ordered a heat shield material today on eBay from racing store to wrap the autovac with and then add the shield too.
You mentioned checking the gas cap breather. (I assume you mean the small hole inside the top part of gas cap). It seems to be clear. Also the gas sold here has ethonol mixed with the gas, and have read that this lowers the bowling point of gasoline. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. An older gentleman told me to add a pint of kerosine to 10 gallons of gas and it would stop vapor lock, which is kinda what is going on here. He said it would raise the bowling point of the gas. Not sure if I should do that or not.
Hope after adding the lagging as you mentioned will do the trick. I even thought about adding a small 6 volt fan under hood to blow air on the autovac.
Thanks again for your input, appreciate it.
Wayne

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:03 am

I would apply the lagging to the exhaust rather than to the autovac. that will reduce the overall underbonnet temperature, not just that of the autovac. Probably easier to apply too, if it comes as a bandage to wrap around the exhaust pipe.

Yes, I was referring to the vent hole in the gas filler cap, so that is eliminated now.

I am not sure of the effects of ethanol on the vapour-lock characteristics of the gasoline, but I would certainly try the kerosene idea. It will not do any harm and may just do the trick. One pint in 10 gallons sounds about right. If you over do it you will make white smoke!!

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

n2oldthings

Post by n2oldthings » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:15 am

Thanks again Adam. I got the supplies to make the heat shield and will put it on the car soon. Will see what happens. Will keep you posted on results.
N2

Jim Eubanks

Post by Jim Eubanks » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:59 pm

How is your car running now? I have put the insulation around the exhaust on my 29 626, insulated the gas line from autovac to the carb and fabed a heat shield between the autovac and exhaust manifold, also add one gal of kerosene to 19 gal of gas. Has worked in 90 degree weather here in TN.

n2oldthings

Post by n2oldthings » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:05 pm

Hello Jim,
Thanks for your reply. Glad to hear from someone that has had the same problem as I have. I have actually done the same things you have done, (made a heat shield between the vacuum tank and exhaust). I just haven't taken it out since doing so. It has been so hot here in Alabama lately (95+). I hope I have the same success as you are having with your car when I do try it out . I am also in process of changing the distributor to a one point system with a new conversion plate with one set of modern points. I have just got to get the nerve to actually change it out. I have also just received the carburator back after sending it off for rebuild. Hope all this will help in the running of this fine old Packard. Will keep you posted as soon as I get it out for a spin.
Wayne