borg warner dash 1940 jr repair

Discussions related to electrical and fuel system, gasoline, etc.
HATTLER

borg warner dash 1940 jr repair

Post by HATTLER » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:01 pm

I took my clock out, tested it and the points touch but do not fire. I tried filing them with no results.
Any ideas?
Bob hattler
1801 sedan convertible

Dave Czirr

Re: borg warner dash 1940 jr repair

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:22 pm

Is the fuse good and the feed "live"?

HATTLER

Post by HATTLER » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:53 pm

Dave, its a bench test, using a 6 v charger as a power source.
The clock was repaired some years ago and ran fine in the dash. Then it quit. It kept time ok. The points close normally as the weight swings closed. I poke the points and they spark and send the weight on its way.
I cut the power and filed the points and nothing happened, I still had to poke the points to activate the clock.
The points are very small and delicate. I can find no one who has replaced points like we do for a car.
Thanks for any help, The car is running like a new one, so now I have time to look at the small stuff.
Bob

HATTLER

Post by HATTLER » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:43 am

Dave, I gave up, I bought a replacement. I now have a #1 driver. Everything works. I'm going to try and get my old clock working as a backup. No one has tried to contact me on point repair yet.
Thanks,
Bob

HATTLER

Post by HATTLER » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:58 pm

I am trying to wire the new clock and I would like to know how to get to the panel and reading light switch located over the speedometer. I can loosen the screws on the dash panel and pull down the steering wheel column if that is needed. Regrettably the wiring has been messed with in the past and there are several wires with loose ends tied with slip ties to anything available. I think the wiring was redone with some short cuts.
Any help would be appreciated,
Bob

HATTLER

Post by HATTLER » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:53 am

All done, pulled the glove box lowered the steering column, unscrewed the dash panel, loosened the speedo cable loosened the switch, added the new wire to the clock panel light, reversed procedure. Attached new hot wire to cigar lighter base, attached new wire to ground, installed clock and glove box. Only one problem left, finding a 2 amp 6 volt fuse.
That's how you do it.
Bob