1947 Packard Custom Super Clipper Courtesy Lights question

Discussions related to electrical and fuel system, gasoline, etc.
merletanner

1947 Packard Custom Super Clipper Courtesy Lights question

Post by merletanner » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:18 am

I have a 1947 Packard Custom Super Clipper. What 6 volt bulb part number is used in the courtesy light sockets at the right and left sides of the car below the front edge of the dash. I can't find the description of the bulb in my parts manual. Do all the courtesy lights and dome light use the same bulb?
Thanks,
Merle

merletanner

Re: 1947 Packard Custom Super Clipper Courtesy Lights question

Post by merletanner » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:29 am

Also what bulb part number is used for the rear turning signals?

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:45 am

I don't know offhand but bulb numbers should be listed in the Owner's Manual. Have you looked there and not found them?

merletanner

Post by merletanner » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:49 am

I had not looked there. I found it.
Thanks

merletanner

Post by merletanner » Sun May 12, 2019 8:16 am

Does the door switches for the courtesy light have a gasket? Also I have a direct short somewhere in the rear courtesy light circuit causing the fuse on the light switch to burn out immediately I have checked all the areas I can that are accessible. Is there anything I should specifically look for that might cause this problem?

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Sun May 12, 2019 9:24 am

My 2106 did not have gaskets on the door switches. The switches do need to have an excellent ground to the body so doubt they had gaskets so as to make good contact with sheetmetal.

This is what I found for the rear body wiring when I took my car apart. I adapted another diagram as needed to show the basic layout but cannot say that the wire colors will be the same as yours. My wires were so faded that I picked my own colors when making a new loom based on what I thought the originals might have been.

As for places to check, the hot wire goes up a narrow channel in the A pillar that starts in an opening about midway under the L side of the windshield. There is a tee splice at the top of the center pillar where one leg drops down thru a fairly small hole to go to the pillar bottom and exits another opening in the pillar right above the floor to feed the front seat. The other leg continues on to the rear courtesy lights. Possibly pulling on the wire has cracked the old fabric and rubber insulation and damaged it at one of the openings -- particularly at the splice area or the bottom where it exits the pillar and goes under the carpet. Unfortunately most places are hidden or above the headliner so only the bottom of the pillar will be easy to check. IIRC, there is a clamp on the wire under the carpet near the seat which fastens the wires to the floor so another possibility.

The hot wire also feeds the cigar lighter in the front seat back and that is an item known to short so possibly there is a problem with the lighter.
Attachments
2106 rear courtesy.jpg

merletanner

Post by merletanner » Sun May 12, 2019 1:18 pm

thanks for this information.