Radios '38 1608

Discussions related to electrical and fuel system, gasoline, etc.
Bluedevil

Radios '38 1608

Post by Bluedevil » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:54 am

My 1608 has front and rear radios. One is under the dash and is tuned from the dashboard, with a large underdash speaker.

The rear one is mounted in the trunk with tuning head in the right rear armrest. Speakers appear to be in the doors.

Is this standard, factory option or just custom?

Thanks

Bill

Bluedevil

Re: Radios '38 1608

Post by Bluedevil » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:21 am

There was a previous discussion relative to the antennae on the car, but the issue of the two radios being standard, optional or a dealer/aftermarket installation went unanswered. I think it is certain that the front radio is standard. The question is the rear. Since the rear still had Philco tags on it, my guess it was not installed in the factory as the factory warranty on the car would cover it???

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:14 pm

According to the 38 senior series data book the rear compartment radio was a factory option on limo and 7 passenger models. Even though something might not be specified as available for a particular model, from most reports Packard and dealers were reluctant to turn down accessory sales not specifically mentioned for other models if something would fit and could be tastefully done. The rear compartment radio could probably be ordered on models besides the two listed. At $130 it was the most expensive option in the approved accessories list.
Attachments
radio.jpg

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:58 pm

I've seen many Packard factory-installed radios that had Philco hang tags on them so I would not think that the presence of those tags contraindicates factory installation. But speakers in the doors has me questioning that placement.

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:06 pm

The blurb from the data book says the speaker was mounted in the rear car door so assuming there was just the one it is probably stock. The Custom radios had an optional output for a second or "guest" speaker which the book says was typically placed in the back of the front seat. The guest speaker appears to be fairly small in comparison to the main unit so I guess it is a possibility that one of those could have been mounted somewhere other than standard like maybe the other door. Anyone buying a Twelve even toward the end of the depression could probably get Packard or the dealer to do whatever they wanted.
Attachments
speaker.jpg

Bluedevil

Post by Bluedevil » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:57 am

Howard55 and Dave,

Well you may have answered another mystery. The rear door check straps had speaker wire run thru them.

Thanks for the input. I am kind of leaning toward dealer installed, but who knows. I will keep digging.

Thanks

Bill

flackmaster

Post by flackmaster » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:44 pm

I've never seen the speaker in the door, which only means I haven't seen everything...usually mounted in back of front seat...but what the heck...

Bluedevil

Post by Bluedevil » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:11 am

No back of front seat speaker. Who knows.

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:57 am

I am kind of curious where and which speaker is in the door. The normal speaker is fairly large and uses an electromagnet to provide the field coil. In some radios the coil for the electromagnet also doubles as part of the power supply filtering. Is there a lot of room in the door or is the speaker mounted in a location that would not interfere with the window travel? I am wondering if they were able to eliminate use of the large speaker and used the smaller guest speaker in the door.

The guest speaker that the acc books say went in the front seat back looks to be fairly small and from what I can see on the schematic is actually more like a modern permanent magnet type speaker since they appear to only bring out a wire for the voice coil. Other accessory books say the guest speaker could mount in the roof so apparently that unit is fairly light.

Photos of the setup would really be nice as I doubt many have actually seen a rear seat radio installation and are as curious as I am.

Bluedevil

Post by Bluedevil » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:09 am

Ok, thanks for the input. I did some more looking and have some pictures

Picture #1 is the radio in the trunk. I will take another with flash

Picture #2 is the speaker in the door. Looks like a pretty modern, permanent speaker. Speaker wire is grey. Does that tell us anything?

Picture #3 is the opening in the door panel. Sure looks like an amateur with a box cutter. No grill on the panel, just uncut door cloth.

I am leaning to dealer or later installation.

I'll keep looking.
Attachments
packard radio1 001.jpg
packard radio1 002.jpg
packard radio1 003.jpg