Radios '38 1608

Discussions related to electrical and fuel system, gasoline, etc.
Howard56

Re: Radios '38 1608

Post by Howard56 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:32 am

I think the speaker and mount may be some kind of replacement but it could be a special use thing. The speaker looks small for the time and wire looks like modern plastic so wire at least is wrong for 39 although the path thru the check strap and location might be correct. The old fabric covered wire could have just given up and someone replaced it. As to the rough opening, hard to say if that is backyard crude or just the padding falling down over the years. Some factory mods and definitely some dealer installs of other accessories have been found to be less than spectacular when cutting was done after the car was built. Not having seen what is a known original install or where and what speaker was placed at the factory makes it a tough guess.

If anyone has an optional guest speaker in their car maybe they could provide some rough dimensions. I am guessing from the photos in a seat back the guest speaker might be 8-10 inches or so in diameter and bezel may stick out a half inch or so. The speaker in the door to me looks like maybe 6 inches which seems a bit small in such a large space as a rear compartment but maybe they used smaller and thinner so the window would open and omitted the bezel since it would not really be needed with that mounting method. The bezel would take up space and speaker being behind the upholstery gives a nice flush look.

Bluedevil

Post by Bluedevil » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:51 pm

Howard55,

Good thoughts. With the jump seats and the clock, there isn't a lot of space for a speaker on the front seat back and no evidence of one ever being there. The upholstery appears to be original, even down to the funky carpet, muton or is it mutton, or? what ever it is? Also no wiring to the seat back.

I wonder if anyone has a picture of the rear control assembly to see it that is the same?

Bill

Bluedevil

Post by Bluedevil » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:56 pm

Howard55,

In your earlier factory info post about the second radio, it says the speaker is in the rear door(singular). Then the question becomes, what does it look like and what door, right or left.

Bill

Bluedevil

Post by Bluedevil » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:07 pm

Here are some other pictures.

Photo 1 control head.
Photo 2 trunk radio
photo 3 seat back
Attachments
Packard radio2 001.jpg
Packard radio2 002.jpg
Packard radio2 003.jpg

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:44 am

I didn't find any photos of the earlier rear seat radios for comparison but that control certainly looks appropriate for an armrest. Curved at the front to match the end and bulky knobs to the frontside away from the operator to provide a bit more room and the numerals facing the correct direction for easy viewing. I would almost bet it is a proper rear head. Certainly doesn't look like the dash units where the knobs and numerals were in a horizontal line.

Somewhere on the Packardinfo archive is another later, I think, car with a rear radio and that head did look out of place -- like it might have been a front unit adapted. If I remember, it had buttons and because the case was long the entire assy was mounted sideways to fit. The head took up most of the space so unless it was never used as an armrest I would imagine the passenger might not have the greatest comfort.

Speaker is a question that might not get answered unless someone else has a car so equipped. The guest speaker is shown in several acc books mounted both on the roof and on the front seat back. One of the books says it could be mounted almost anywhere. I would imagine the door space would not allow a great big unit but to go in a roof it must be fairly thin so it might fit in the door. Certainly doesn't look like enough room in the front seat back on your car and probably not in other limos or 7 passenger cars either.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:29 am

A speaker mounted in the rear of the front seat might be a part of a rear compartment radio installation, but it is also the location called for to install a "guest speaker" associated with the 1938 senior car driver's compartment radio.

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:10 pm

I have no idea how many of the prewar people who frequent packardinfo might check in or post over here but since that site gets a lot more traffic I wonder if posting a photo over there and asking the speaker question or the rear radio questions overall would get any more responses.

Bluedevil

Post by Bluedevil » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:44 am

Howard55,

Thanks, I will give it a whirl.

Bill