fuel tank removal 1941 160

Discussions related to electrical and fuel system, gasoline, etc.
studeranch

fuel tank removal 1941 160

Post by studeranch » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:13 am

I am trying to remove the fuel tank on a 1941 160, to clean and prepare it to try to start the engine. I removed the fuel outlet pipe, the 2 straps, and the tailpipe bracket and the tank is now loose. It appears the only thing holding it is is the fuel filler neck, which goes over the top of the frame. The only way I can see to remove it is to either lift the body, which would be difficult, or take a saws-all to the filler neck and then put radiator hose and clamps to reinstall. Could using a saws-all be a fire hazard.? I would guess there is about 5 gal of very old gas in the tank. I don't know when it was last used, but it was last licensed in 1966. Am I missing something? Thanks David

Dave Czirr

Re: fuel tank removal 1941 160

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:29 am

Look more closely, you should not have to cut the filler neck or anything else to get the tank down. But you want it empty first.

Try to open the drain plug on the bottom of the tank and drain whatever is still in it, even ancient gasoline presents an extreme fire hazard!!! It may take some patience to get the drain plug removed, it is at the lowest point of the tank and if there was any water in the tank, it would have settled at the drain and rusted the threads. If you're lucky the plug is threaded brass but even so work carefully or you may break the fitting away from the tank (not that it can't be fixed by any competent tank repair/radiator shop). That failing, use some rubber hose and siphon the remaining gasoline from the tank. If you are going to do anything to the tank, even if empty, that might present a risk of fire, flush the tank several times with water to remove all traces of gasoline and gasoline fumes. And take precautions like personal safety equipment and fire extinguishers.

Howard56

Re: fuel tank removal 1941 160

Post by Howard56 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:52 am

I will go a bit stronger than Dave and say that if the plug is steel and has not been removed in years there is every probability it has rusted to the tank portion. I would strongly advise not trying to turn it without using something like a large vise grip or even a small pipe wrench on the tank portion so there is less of a chance of the fitting turning on the tank. It is not easy to hold something on the fitting with one hand while you are trying to turn with the other because if like the later tanks, the tank portion is tapered. Try anyway because if the fitting does turn there will be a leak and repair is not easy or cheap.