1951 brake lights

Discussions related to electrical and fuel system, gasoline, etc.
Navy Packard fan

1951 brake lights

Post by Navy Packard fan » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:24 pm

Team America,

Having a small problem with brake lights in my '51 300 model. They work, but only if I depress the pedal as hard as possible when the car is parked.

They are probably not coming on with moderate braking during normal driving. While I'm still good with the old hand signals, I don't trust the distracted teenagers behind me to look up from their phones to see my arm out the window, let alone know what the "stop" hand signal looks like.

The fact that they work tells me the circuit is good, but there must be a switch tied to the hydraulic line that needs adjusting. Any ideas on where to look and is this tricky to replace?

All other lights work as normal.

Howard56

Re: 1951 brake lights

Post by Howard56 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:35 pm

The brake switch is threaded in a port in the brass junction block at the end of the master cylinder. It can be replaced with a Napa SL134 or a switch obtained from one of our vendors. You should be able to unscrew and replace easily but try to do the job reasonably quickly and be careful not to move the brake pedal or do anything else to possibly let air get in the lines or the brakes will need to be bled.

Be sure to check for any leaks if you use the SL134 switch. While it has been used satisfactorily for a long time some have recently reported some issues with fluid leaking at the threads when using the switch on some earlier models. The theory is a possible mismatch with threads on the later runs of switches. The earlier models with reported issues use a different spot to mount the switch so not threaded into the brass block. Would appreciate if you could let the forum know if you have any leaks. While not the best practice those with leaks have been able to use teflon tape and eliminate the issue.
Attachments
brake switch.jpg

Navy Packard fan

Post by Navy Packard fan » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:56 am

Thank you as always. The diagram is especially helpful. I'll order the part through my local NAPA store and let you know how it goes.

Cheers!

Navy Packard fan

Post by Navy Packard fan » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:47 pm

All, sorry for the delay, it's been hot as heck down here and I haven't gotten the car out for a while.

I did order the part from Max Merritt, figuring that for a few extra bucks I'd have a part sure to fit.

A surprisingly simple fix. The new switch works perfectly. Thanks to all for the assist!

Prudence

Post by Prudence » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:17 am

Thank you for using one of our loyal Packard Parts Suppliers...Ernie in Arizona ;)